Re: Templating

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Aug 12, 2009.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:01:05 -0500, Spud <> wrote,

    >We're looking for a way to do web page templates, so graphic designers
    >don't have to work around code in our JSPs, and so we can be a bit more
    >MVC-ish. I've looked at Freemarker, Velocity, and taglibs. I know there
    >are others.

    for a long list of them see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/framework.html

    I would check out JSP, Freemarker, and JSF.

    If you don't have Java on your server, you can do it all with code
    generated on your workstation and uploaded, using my contribution,
    HSM, HTML Static macros.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    "You can have quality software, or you can have pointer arithmetic; but you cannot have both at the same time."
    ~ Bertrand Meyer (born: 1950 age: 59) 1989, creator of design by contract and the Eiffel language.
    Roedy Green, Aug 12, 2009

  2. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:01:05 -0500, Spud <> wrote,
    >> We're looking for a way to do web page templates, so graphic designers
    >> don't have to work around code in our JSPs, and so we can be a bit more
    >> MVC-ish. I've looked at Freemarker, Velocity, and taglibs. I know there
    >> are others.

    > for a long list of them see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/framework.html
    >
    > I would check out JSP, Freemarker, and JSF.
    >
    > If you don't have Java on your server, you can do it all with code
    > generated on your workstation and uploaded, using my contribution,
    > HSM, HTML Static macros.

    Given that he wrote "so graphic designers don't have to work
    around code in our JSPs", then I think you can assume that he
    knows about JSP and do have Java on his server.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 13, 2009

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:27:18 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>

    >Given that he wrote "so graphic designers don't have to work
    >around code in our JSPs", then I think you can assume that he
    >knows about JSP and do have Java on his server.

    I am not talking to him. I am talking to others who may have a
    similar problem.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    "If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    ~ Red Adair (born: 1915-06-18 died: 2004-08-07 at age: 89)
    Roedy Green, Aug 13, 2009
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:19:31 -0700, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >I am not talking to him. I am talking to others who may have a
    >similar problem.

    It is fairly easy to come by free or very cheap static web hosting,
    even decently high bandwidth. Many of us are on a tight budget.

    Roedy Green, Aug 13, 2009
  5. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:27:18 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>
    >> Given that he wrote "so graphic designers don't have to work
    >> around code in our JSPs", then I think you can assume that he
    >> knows about JSP and do have Java on his server.

    > I am not talking to him. I am talking to others who may have a
    > similar problem.

    If they have a similar problem, then it will not be relevant
    for them either.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 13, 2009
  6. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > It is fairly easy to come by free or very cheap static web hosting,
    > even decently high bandwidth. Many of us are on a tight budget.

    Sure.

    And there are undoubtedly relevant newsgroups for static
    content as well.

    But this is not one of them.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 13, 2009