Re: Terminate a python script from linux shell / bash script

Discussion in 'Python' started by norseman, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. norseman

    norseman Guest

    Gros Bedo wrote:

    >>> That's not how it works. If you kill one running python script it will not
    >>> effect other python scripts. Each script has its own interpreter process
    >>> running.

    >> GB> So, is there a way from the Linux shell or a bash script to terminate
    >> GB> just one specific Python script ?

    >>> So just kill it.

    > Yes I've seen that each python script calls its own instance of Python. But how to know which is the good one in bash ? Is there a command that gets the parameters of process, so I could use grep to select the one containing the name of my script ?

    ==============================
    Yes. man ps explains
    try ps -AFL | grep [known filename or cmdlin token]
    then kill -9 [PID] found (check it more than twice)

    1) If your script is known to hang use what another wrote:
    py s.py tokens &
    capture=$! (get the PID ready)
    kill -9 $capture

    2) If you are like the other 99% needing the PID because we didn't know
    we were going to need it, use the ps/grep combo.

    Try not to damage your system.
    Which means: Trying to automate this is VERY dangerous!
    How long since your last full backup? And of course you
    can redo everything since last backup from memory, yes?
    It hangs, you kill it manually.

    Steve

    norseman, Jul 10, 2008