Re: Test 2

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nicolai P. Zwar, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Jim PKP wrote:
    > In article <bg84du$2uv$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>For some reason I'm unable to post messages to this group. I did a test
    >>post earlyer and someone sent me a mail to say it was on. Yet I am unable
    >>to see it.
    >>
    >>Could some kind person send me a mail to and let me
    >>know what subject title post is above and below this (if it gets on).
    >>
    >>Thanks - Keith
    >>

    > Keith,
    >
    > If you are having problems reading messages on a newsgroup, it'll be
    > your news server usually rather than your software. News servers store
    > messages from newsgroups and some of them add new posts faster than
    > others. It looks like you're using btinternet, which I've heard is bad
    > for news. Try www.newsreaders.com for other (free) news servers.
    > And don't put your e-mail address on a ng post....!

    Why is that? All my posts have my e-mail address in it, and it's usually
    best to have a valid e-mail address in the "from" part of your message,
    as well. If you worried about spam, it's better to work with multiple
    addresses or use a spam filter.

    --
    Nicolai Zwar
    mailto:
    Nicolai P. Zwar, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Nicolai P. Zwar

    Ben Guest

    Nicolai P. Zwar wrote:
    >> And don't put your e-mail address on a ng post....!
    >>

    > Why is that? All my posts have my e-mail address in it, and it's usually
    > best to have a valid e-mail address in the "from" part of your message,
    > as well. If you worried about spam, it's better to work with multiple
    > addresses or use a spam filter.

    I used to have a disposable email address in my reply field which would
    forward mail to my real address. What would happen is that eventually
    (and it never took long) I would be receiving several microsoft update
    email viruses each day. Evenutally I would change to another disposable
    address and the cycle would repeat. Now I use a nonvalid email address
    in the headers and my contact details at the bottom of the post without
    specifying an '@' symbol so that the software that spammers use to pick
    up addresses doesn't detect it (and it also is a disposable address).

    regards,
    Ben

    --
    BTW. I can be contacted at Username:newsgroup4.replies.benaltw
    Domain:xoxy.net
    Ben, Jul 30, 2003

  3. Ben wrote:
    > Nicolai P. Zwar wrote:
    >
    >>> And don't put your e-mail address on a ng post....!
    >>>

    >> Why is that? All my posts have my e-mail address in it, and it's
    >> usually best to have a valid e-mail address in the "from" part of your
    >> message, as well. If you worried about spam, it's better to work with
    >> multiple addresses or use a spam filter.

    > I used to have a disposable email address in my reply field which would
    > forward mail to my real address. What would happen is that eventually
    > (and it never took long) I would be receiving several microsoft update
    > email viruses each day. Evenutally I would change to another disposable
    > address and the cycle would repeat. Now I use a nonvalid email address
    > in the headers and my contact details at the bottom of the post without
    > specifying an '@' symbol so that the software that spammers use to pick
    > up addresses doesn't detect it (and it also is a disposable address).

    By now, I have used for years on the Usenet, and
    probably every spambot in this world has harvested it at one time or
    another. But hey, that's my "most public" e-mail address, everybody's
    able to have it. But I also have other e-mail addresses out there for
    private e-mail, work, or other things. Normally, one can have as many
    e-mail addresses as one wants these days, so that's not really a
    problem. I used to use invalid e-mail addresses in the "from" field,
    too, but I'm not nuts about this type of anti-spam protection for
    various reasons.

    --
    Nicolai Zwar
    http://www.nicolaizwar.com
    Nicolai P. Zwar, Aug 1, 2003
  4. Jim PKP wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >

    >>Why is that?

    > To avoid spam.

    Yeah, I know. Which is why I said that "if you worried about spam, it's
    better to work with multiple addresses or use a spam filter". Most
    people still use their e-mail address (well, one of their e-mail
    addresses) in the Usenet, and that's generally preferable to a fake or
    broken address in my opinion.
    Nicolai P. Zwar, Aug 1, 2003