Re: Text loading question Dec. 10, 2008

Discussion in 'HTML' started by houghi, Dec 10, 2008.

  1. houghi

    houghi Guest

    E.D.G. wrote:
    > It is surprising to me that this type of command was not built into html
    > when it was developed. It would seem to me to be a logical addition.

    That was the shtml somebody already talked about. I used that in at
    least 1997, so some 10 years ago.

    In hindsight it might have been. At that moment a LOT of things where
    absolutely not possible. It was developed to show documents.

    http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/book4/ch02.html
    Especialy:
    Tim bases his HTML on an existing internationally agreed upon method of
    text mark-up

    The HTML that Tim invented was strongly based on SGML (Standard
    Generalized Mark-up Language), an internationally agreed upon method for
    marking up text into structural units such as paragraphs, headings, list
    items and so on. SGML could be implemented on any machine. The idea was
    that the language was independent of the formatter (the browser or other
    viewing software) which actually displayed the text on the screen. The
    use of pairs of tags such as <TITLE> and </TITLE> is taken directly from
    SGML, which does exactly the same. The SGML elements used in Tim's HTML
    included P (paragraph); H1 through H6 (heading level 1 through heading
    level 6); OL (ordered lists); UL (unordered lists); LI (list items) and
    various others. What SGML does not include, of course, are hypertext
    links: the idea of using the anchor element with the HREF attribute was
    purely Tim's invention, as was the now-famous `www.name.name' format for
    addressing machines on the Web.

    Basing HTML on SGML was a brilliant idea: other people would have
    invented their own language from scratch but this might have been much
    less reliable, as well as less acceptable to the rest of the Internet
    community. Certainly the simplicity of HTML, and the use of the anchor
    element A for creating hypertext links, was what made Tim's invention so
    useful.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

    houghi, Dec 10, 2008

  2. houghi

    houghi Guest

    E.D.G. wrote:
    > It is amazing how the Internet has changed the world. And some of the most
    > useful applications are yet to come. I am working on a few possible
    > applications myself.

    I can understand that you are biassed, but it is only afterwards that we
    can tell wether they were usefull or not. Some people still think flash
    is usefull. ;-)

    houghi

    houghi, Dec 11, 2008