Re: Text loading question Dec. 10, 2008

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bergamot, Dec 12, 2008.

  1. Bergamot

    Bergamot Guest

    E.D.G. wrote:

    > It is relatively easy to display text on a computer screen and then do a
    > "screen capture." The resulting image is then present on the computer's
    > clipboard. And it can be pasted to a graphics programs and stored as a
    > picture file such as a GIF file. That picture image of the text can then be
    > loaded into as many html documents as desired.

    That is generally a poor way to present web content. Pictures of text is
    a poor substitute for plain text unless you have particular font or
    typography requirements, such as in a logo.

    > If enough time is spent on
    > adjusting everything such as getting all of the font sizes to match, the
    > documents will look as though the text in the picture file are actually
    > contained in the document.

    That will never happen. You presume to have some control over the
    visitor's fonts or text size. You don't, regardless of how you wish
    otherwise.

    > However, they will not scroll like normal html
    > formatted text.

    And it will not scale with the visitor's preferred text size, which
    makes it inherently user unfriendly. Shall I mention the search engine
    repercussions?

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Dec 12, 2008

  2. Bergamot

    Bergamot Guest

    E.D.G. wrote:

    > If you have several paragraphs of text that need to be displayed in a
    > document in multiple languages you can generate "pictures" of the text and
    > then insert the pictures in the html document without having to worry about
    > the reader's Web browser being able to properly display all of the
    > languages.

    I guess you don't need to be concerned about the user being able to
    actually read it, either. :-\

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Dec 12, 2008

  3. On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:32:43 -0600, Bergamot wrote:
    > E.D.G. wrote:
    >>
    >> It is relatively easy to display text on a computer screen and then do a
    >> "screen capture." The resulting image is then present on the computer's
    >> clipboard. And it can be pasted to a graphics programs and stored as a
    >> picture file such as a GIF file. That picture image of the text can then be
    >> loaded into as many html documents as desired.

    > That is generally a poor way to present web content. Pictures of text is
    > a poor substitute for plain text unless you have particular font or
    > typography requirements, such as in a logo.
    >

    >> If enough time is spent on
    >> adjusting everything such as getting all of the font sizes to match, the
    >> documents will look as though the text in the picture file are actually
    >> contained in the document.

    > That will never happen. You presume to have some control over the
    > visitor's fonts or text size. You don't, regardless of how you wish
    > otherwise.
    >
    >> However, they will not scroll like normal html
    >> formatted text.

    > And it will not scale with the visitor's preferred text size, which
    > makes it inherently user unfriendly. Shall I mention the search engine
    > repercussions?

    And, none of the content will be/can be indexed by Google.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    Allodoxaphobia, Dec 12, 2008