Re: Text vs Binary Files

Discussion in 'XML' started by johnboy, May 28, 2004.

  1. johnboy

    johnboy Guest

    Maybe the benefits aren't technical issues but real business benefits
    for the application. If it's holding application preferences then
    using XML opens up options such as:

    o Self documenting the preferences with XSL
    o Use web pages to edit the settings
    o Easy to write bulk search/replace
    o Compare settings between different systems
    o Easier upgrades when you add new preferences
    o Easy to backup and restore

    I guess there are more if we knew about the application but it's
    normally easier to manipulate XML than binary data.

    John

    johnboy, May 28, 2004