Re: Textarea question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Tim Streater, Jul 29, 2009.

  1. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

    > sheldonlg wrote:
    > > I have what should be a simple question. On a form with a textarea, how
    > > do you make it so that the user can start a new paragraph? Hitting
    > > Enter causes the page to submit. I have searched in Google, but all I
    > > have found is how to put text in there pro programmatically so that
    > > there are separate paragraphs. i know it can be done since I have seen
    > > sites that have it.
    > >
    > > I am including the javascript newsgroup in case it requires js to work.

    > Adding to this question: Is it possible to force a new line in a text
    > field? If so, how do we do that so that the user can type it in?

    It would also be nice if one could have the textarea expand vertically
    to accommodate all the text it contains. I've had to do this by
    adjusting the number of lines in an approximate way - not very
    satisfactory.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Jul 29, 2009

  2. Tim Streater

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Tim Streater <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
    >
    > > sheldonlg wrote:
    > > > I have what should be a simple question. On a form with a textarea, how
    > > > do you make it so that the user can start a new paragraph? Hitting
    > > > Enter causes the page to submit. I have searched in Google, but all I
    > > > have found is how to put text in there pro programmatically so that
    > > > there are separate paragraphs. i know it can be done since I have seen
    > > > sites that have it.
    > > >
    > > > I am including the javascript newsgroup in case it requires js to work.

    > > Adding to this question: Is it possible to force a new line in a text
    > > field? If so, how do we do that so that the user can type it in?

    > It would also be nice if one could have the textarea expand vertically
    > to accommodate all the text it contains. I've had to do this by
    > adjusting the number of lines in an approximate way - not very
    > satisfactory.

    As a maker of forms, be generous in the first place, vertical space on a
    web page is not gold dust. As a user, you have at least two options to
    deal with the miserly, pinched, ungenerous, mean, insensitive, silly,
    practice of teensy weensy text areas: use a text editor of some sort and
    cut and paste, or use what amounts to a tailored automatic version of
    this specially for text areas on the Firefox browser, "It's all text",
    an add-on.

    But you are right that it would be nice for this to happen auto while
    typing away. There are some scripting solutions. Take a look, for
    example at this discussion:

    <http://markos.gaivo.net/blog/?p=198>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 29, 2009

  3. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Tim Streater <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > > It would also be nice if one could have the textarea expand vertically
    > > to accommodate all the text it contains. I've had to do this by
    > > adjusting the number of lines in an approximate way - not very
    > > satisfactory.

    > As a maker of forms, be generous in the first place, vertical space on a
    > web page is not gold dust. As a user, you have at least two options to
    > deal with the miserly, pinched, ungenerous, mean, insensitive, silly,
    > practice of teensy weensy text areas: use a text editor of some sort and
    > cut and paste, or use what amounts to a tailored automatic version of
    > this specially for text areas on the Firefox browser, "It's all text",
    > an add-on.
    >
    > But you are right that it would be nice for this to happen auto while
    > typing away. There are some scripting solutions. Take a look, for
    > example at this discussion:
    >
    > <http://markos.gaivo.net/blog/?p=198>

    Thanks for the pointer; I will read it through.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Jul 30, 2009