Re: Thawte certificate renewals only work on legacy OS and browser

Discussion in 'Java' started by Dave Miller, Aug 18, 2008.

  1. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    Mickey Segal wrote:
    > I tried to renew a Thawte code signing certificate (Authenticode type),
    > and after I completed the order and they issued a new certificate, they
    > revealed that the certificate fails if obtained with a current operating
    > system or browser.
    >
    > They then told me that issuing certificates doesn't work on Vista at
    > all, and on Windows XP only works using Internet Explorer 6. They also
    > explained that the renewal process cancelled my existing certificate.
    >
    > The renewal instructions
    > (https://www.thawte.com/ssl-digital-certificates/free-guides-whitepapers/pdf/renew_sum_eng.pdf)
    > did not mention the OS/browser problem at all.
    >
    > All they are offering now is re-issue a certificate if I can find a
    > Windows XP computer (or Windows 98) with Internet Explorer 6 or earlier.
    >
    > This sounds nuts for a company that sells "Trust". Did I just get a
    > clueless tech support person, or is Thawte falling apart?

    Authenticode signs MS content. You're asking the question in a Java
    group - which one is incorrect?

    BTW, if Java was correct / authenticode was incorrect, we used to use
    Thawte but switched to GlobalSign this year because of lower cost.

    --
    Dave Miller
    Java Web Hosting

    Dave Miller, Aug 18, 2008

  2. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    Mickey Segal wrote:
    > I found a computer with IE6 as needed for Thawte's renewal process, but
    > as stated at
    > https://search.thawte.com/support/ssl-digital-certificates/index?page=content&id=so750
    > if I request the needed re-issue they will revoke our previous
    > certificate so all current users will be blocked from using our software
    > until the entire process goes through, which has taken days in the past.

    They're all a little nuts. GlobalSign will only issue to "registered
    businesses" (we know that includes corporations, we're still trying to
    find out what else). As your experience suggests, Thawte has some
    bizarre procedures. Verisign seems to have it together with customer
    service and issuance but they charge two and three times what the
    competition charges.

    Dave Miller, Aug 18, 2008

  3. Dave Miller

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:47:31 GMT, Dave Miller
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >They're all a little nuts. GlobalSign will only issue to "registered
    >businesses" (we know that includes corporations, we're still trying to
    >find out what else). As your experience suggests, Thawte has some
    >bizarre procedures. Verisign seems to have it together with customer
    >service and issuance but they charge two and three times what the
    >competition charges.

    When you buy a certificate what you are buying is their research to
    prove you are you. It may be easier to prove a business is a business
    than a private person is a private person.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Aug 18, 2008
  4. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    Mickey Segal wrote:
    > I may be reading too much into this, but it looks like VeriSign bought
    > Thawte in order to kill it.

    It sure seems that's the case - either that or to remove the price
    pressure from their own products. Two years ago, Thawte was at $159. Now
    they're at $299 for a new issue and $259 for a renewal.

    Dave Miller, Aug 19, 2008
  5. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > When you buy a certificate what you are buying is their research to
    > prove you are you. It may be easier to prove a business is a business
    > than a private person is a private person.

    In terms of CYA, maybe. In terms of actually vetting the entity not so much.

    A company exists because somebody paid a filing fee. People can and do
    create multiple identities at will. They can kill entities as easily -
    minus the fee. What's Proper Programming today can easily be Dapper Data
    tomorrow.

    To change your personal identity is not so easy. Unless you are into
    committing a felony, you will always have or be connected to your
    personal identity.

    They could vet an individual by having them take a form and their ID to
    a notary. They vet a company by checking the information provided
    against some online database(s). The difference is that the individual
    will always be the same and the company can, legally and easily,
    reinvent itself tomorrow.

    IMO, in terms of protecting end users, GlobalSign has it exactly backwards.

    Dave Miller, Aug 19, 2008