Re: The Bible in html/css...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by idle, Mar 19, 2011.

  1. idle

    idle Guest

    http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org

    --
    idle
    I have yet to decided whether to use my power for good...or for evil.

    idle, Mar 19, 2011

  2. idle

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    freedomfighter <> wrote:

    > Many thanks to all with a lot of blessing.

    Give us a bloody break. When did any blessing do the least good?
    Gus is worthy but how about donating it to the poor people of
    Libya who just want a say in how the their country is run rather
    be ruled and gunned down by a psychopath.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 20, 2011

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme <>
    writing in news::

    > In article <>,
    > freedomfighter <> wrote:
    >
    >> Many thanks to all with a lot of blessing.

    > Give us a bloody break. When did any blessing do the least good?
    > Gus is worthy but how about donating it to the poor people of
    > Libya who just want a say in how the their country is run rather
    > be ruled and gunned down by a psychopath.

    I think everyone needs a blessing or two, even if they are not in a war
    torn, or radio active part of the world. Maybe the good fortune a
    blessing could give would be enough to make someone feel fortunate enough
    to donate some of that good fortune.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 20, 2011
  4. idle

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > freedomfighter <> wrote:

    >> Many thanks to all with a lot of blessing.

    > Give us a bloody break. When did any blessing do the least good?

    Haven't you heard, everything in Japan is great now since the whole
    #prayforJapan campaign got started. All the buildings are back, the
    reactors are humming along like nothing happened and all those dead
    bodies? Turns out they were just napping!

    --
    Han : You said you wanted to be around when I made a mistake, well, this
    could be it, sweetheart. Leia: I take it back.

    Lewis, Mar 20, 2011
  5. idle

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Joy Beeson <> wrote:

    > It would be nice if the number of columns could be increased for
    > people using a wide monitor, and decreased for people reading on a
    > pocket monitor.

    That is what several examples in the thread have shown can be
    done and it is provided for in the CSS3 facilities. Browser
    support is a different matter.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 20, 2011
  6. idle

    Joy Beeson Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 09:48:33 +0900, freedomfighter
    <> wrote:

    > 1. Idea is to use the Bible in one browser only, let's say in Firefox
    > portable - not on the web!
    >
    > Two columns - that's how it is in most printed Bibles.

    Could work -- but find how high the shortest monitor any reader uses
    is, and make your columns shorter, so that both columns can be read
    before scrolling.

    It would be nice if the number of columns could be increased for
    people using a wide monitor, and decreased for people reading on a
    pocket monitor.

    --
    Joy Beeson
    joy beeson at comcast dot net

    Joy Beeson, Mar 21, 2011
  7. On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 09:48:33 +0900, freedomfighter wrote:

    > Two columns - that's how it is in most printed Bibles.

    Not exactly Thinking Outside The Box, are you?

    Allodoxaphobia, Mar 21, 2011
  8. freedomfighter wrote:

    > 1. Idea is to use the Bible in one browser only, let's say in Firefox
    > portable - not on the web!

    We all start at 100% browser coverage, and then some of us, often with great
    pain, work downwards. There's little reason to author for a single browser
    even if it the pages are for your personal use, or for the use of a small
    group. For example, what happens if a catastrophic security hole is found in
    Firefox with no fix found for days? Should your pages stay unused then,
    until a fix is (maybe) found?

    > Two columns - that's how it is in most printed Bibles.

    So what? Why would you imitate the impact of limitations of certain
    technologies when using a completely different technology?

    The _original_ format of biblical scriptures was, as far as we can know,
    parchment or papyrus scrolls - to be read with scrolling, obviously. Printed
    sheets of paper were invented later, and due to technical limitations and
    economic considerations, sheets of paper are usually so wide that text lines
    that wide are too wide for comfortable reading. There are different
    approaches to this problem, one of them being two-column layout. There is
    nothing inherently good in it - it makes reading less comfortable.

    If people really want the look and feel of printed Bibles, give them printed
    Bibles. As the second best option then, give them PDF documents. (Contrary
    to popular belief, you can have links in PDF documents.)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 21, 2011