Re: The case for Portlets

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 11 Aug 2003 13:34:30 -0700, (luke) wrote or
    quoted :

    >http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/ibm/library/i-portletintro/?ca=dgr-jw01Portlets#resources

    Here is IBM's definition:

    "Portals provide a secure, single point of interaction with diverse
    information, business processes, and people, personalized to a user's
    needs and responsibilities."

    What a bunch of meaningless BULLSHIT. That could just as well be an
    advertising blurb for Accpac for DOS. Why do they do this?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Roedy Green wrote:

    > As I said earlier a fluffy definition like that could be applied to
    > almost any technology. That is a sales blurb. I'm surprised they did
    > not also claim it would improve your sex life. It gives you no clue
    > what the technology is.

    which as the other guy says, probably suits the clueless technophobes that
    IBM have to actually sell to quite well ;)

    --
    darren@ public key
    davison|uk.net www.davison.uk.net/key.jsp

    Darren Davison, Aug 12, 2003

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 12 Aug 2003 13:52:24 -0700, (luke) wrote or
    quoted :

    >Then perhaps a definition of "Portals" from Javaworld.com might be
    >better:

    that's getting closer. Now what the heck is a PortLET?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Roedy Green

    luke Guest

    Roedy Green <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > that's getting closer. Now what the heck is a PortLET?

    My first impression was that it was a fat SERVlet, cousin to MIDlets
    and bastard offspring of APPlets.

    Then I realized it's a grouping of Neo-Servlets cooperating in a
    standard manner within a standard environment to present a unified
    view from many different sources.

    luke, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Roedy Green

    Tim Tyler Guest

    In comp.lang.java.advocacy luke <> wrote:

    : Then perhaps a definition of "Portals" from Javaworld.com might be
    : better:

    : - A portal is a Web-based application that provides personalization,
    : single sign-on, and content aggregation from different sources, and
    : hosts the presentation layer of information systems. Aggregation is
    : the process of integrating content from different sources within a
    : Webpage. A portal may have sophisticated personalization features to
    : provide customized content to users. Portal pages may have different
    : sets of portlets creating content for different users.

    : http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-08-2003/jw-0801-portlet.html?

    That seems to be in conflict with common usage - a portal doesn't
    have to do hardly any of that stuff.

    http://labs.google.com/glossary?q=portal has better definitions of "portal".
    --
    __________

    Tim Tyler, Aug 15, 2003
  6. Roedy Green

    asj Guest

    Roedy Green <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm guessing possibly what Portlets are for is to build a webpage like
    > the MyNetscape page where the USER configures what chunks she want to
    > appear on a custom page -- some news, a horoscope, a few stock prices
    > etc. from a large menu of possible services.

    well, yeah, that's a non-technical definition of the thing.

    right now, we can obviously do that using the tools we already have,
    but portlets promise to enable people to more easily create portals in
    a standard manner (ie. that can be portable across different portal
    servers).

    if i had to create another intranet portal, i would definitely look
    into this.

    asj, Aug 16, 2003

    > > I'm guessing possibly what Portlets are for is to build a webpage like
    > > the MyNetscape page where the USER configures what chunks she want to
    > > appear on a custom page -- some news, a horoscope, a few stock prices
    > > etc. from a large menu of possible services.

    > well, yeah, that's a non-technical definition of the thing.
    >
    > right now, we can obviously do that using the tools we already have,
    > but portlets promise to enable people to more easily create portals in
    > a standard manner (ie. that can be portable across different portal
    > servers).
    >
    > if i had to create another intranet portal, i would definitely look
    > into this.

    Just in case this has not been mentioned before, the Java Community Process
    JSR for portlets:
    http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=168
    has just now (Aug 16) gone to the "public review" stage.

    William Brogden, Aug 16, 2003