RE: The importance of using Library Functions

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jimmy Retzlaff, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Doug Tolton () wrote:

    [a painful sounding story about writing the equivalent of textwrap.py
    under the pressure of a deadline only to discover someone else had
    already done it. He offered one remedy:]

    >As much as I hate to be the example, it really is a wonderful
    >illustratration of why following the Unix / OSS development model is a
    >better way to go.
    >
    >1. Check to see if someone has already written an app to do what you
    >want done.
    >2. Check to see if someone has written something that is close to what
    >you want done. If you can get the source code, modify it to do what
    >you need specifically.
    >3. Write it from scratch.

    Something that serves me well is to occasionally (maybe once or twice a
    year) take 30 minutes or so to browse the entire library documentation
    just to rebuild the index in my head.

    I also thoroughly read AMK's "What's New" document (e.g.,
    http://www.python.org/doc/2.3/whatsnew/) whenever a new version of
    Python is released. Keeping up with the next version can also point out
    interesting things in development that are often easy to back-port for
    use before the next version is released
    (http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/whatsnew/ - it's a little sparse
    right now seeing as 2.3 was just released).

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Retzlaff, Aug 13, 2003