Re: The mac for Java programmers

Discussion in 'Java' started by Bent C Dalager, Aug 21, 2008.

  1. On 2008-08-20, Steve W. Jackson <> wrote:
    > And you'll find that fewer and fewer Mac
    > users have a single button mouse these days. It's all Apple sells, but
    > many of us (especially techies) have been using a multi-button for years.

    The default mouse delivered by Apple is the Mighty Mouse, which has
    four buttons.

    Choosing to configure it to use one, two, three or four buttons is
    left at the user's discretion. It may default to only having one
    active button, but any user that is incapable of finding the mouse
    config menu probably doesn't want the complexity of multiple mouse
    buttons anyway.

    Cheers,
    Bent D
    powered by emacs
    Bent C Dalager, Aug 21, 2008

  2. Bent C Dalager <> wrote:
    > The default mouse delivered by Apple is the Mighty Mouse, which has
    > four buttons.

    Is that the one whose scroll-wheel is actually a scroll-*ball*?

    It drove someone I know mad, because when surfing and scrolling
    down the page, an inadverted drifting sideways suddenly caused
    the browser to go back/forward in the browsing history. That's
    of course not a fault of the mighty mouse, but rather poor
    usability-design on browser's part.

    Btw., that guy's (G5-)mainboard snuffed it after little more
    than two years of age, and he isn't likely to buy electronic
    waste from that company again any time soon.
    Andreas Leitgeb, Aug 21, 2008

  3. Steve W. Jackson <> wrote:
    > Andreas Leitgeb <> wrote:
    >> Btw., that guy's (G5-)mainboard snuffed it after little more
    >> than two years of age, and he isn't likely to buy electronic
    >> waste from that company again any time soon.

    > Wow...somebody gives up way too easily.

    Back at the time when he decided for the mac, he was frustrated
    about sucky PC-hardware, and decided spending more money for a mac
    and get better quality in return. He did indeed pay more, but he
    got the same (if not worse) waste for it as what he was frustrated
    about with PCs. Not talking about computing power, which was fine,
    but about durability.

    > One had a "mainboard" go bad after just over two years.
    > One had a power supply fail after 5 years.

    His power supply also failed even sooner but "luckily" by a month
    still in time for warranty.

    > all been flawless in terms of failures. It can happen to anyone's
    > product. So why avoid a company for one bad item?

    With expensive products one is principially less forgiving.

    PS: Ok, this isn't an appropriate place to discuss computer hardware
    quality. I consider this subthread closed from my side, and if anyone
    decides to continue, he'll do so without me, or per email.
    Andreas Leitgeb, Aug 21, 2008
  4. On 2008-08-21, Andreas Leitgeb <> wrote:
    > Bent C Dalager <> wrote:
    >> The default mouse delivered by Apple is the Mighty Mouse, which has
    >> four buttons.

    > Is that the one whose scroll-wheel is actually a scroll-*ball*?

    Yes. The ball also serves as one of the buttons.

    > It drove someone I know mad, because when surfing and scrolling
    > down the page, an inadverted drifting sideways suddenly caused
    > the browser to go back/forward in the browsing history. That's
    > of course not a fault of the mighty mouse, but rather poor
    > usability-design on browser's part.

    If my browser did this I would get really upset with it :)

    The sideways-scrolling feature can be annoying when there's a
    horizontal scrollbar because I want to scroll vertically a /lot/ more
    often than I want to scroll horizontally but the scroll ball doesn't
    appear to be any less sensitive along the one axis than along the
    other. Luckily, few windows have horizontal scrollbars. They are
    annoying for more reasons than just this one.

    Cheers,
    Bent D
    powered by emacs
    Bent C Dalager, Aug 22, 2008
  5. Andreas Leitgeb <> writes:

    > It drove someone I know mad, because when surfing and scrolling
    > down the page, an inadverted drifting sideways suddenly caused
    > the browser to go back/forward in the browsing history. That's
    > of course not a fault of the mighty mouse, but rather poor
    > usability-design on browser's part.

    The mighty mouse drove me a little nutty at first too, before I
    figured out what was happening. Every so often, Expose would trigger
    for no apparent reason that I could see. Eventually, I figured out
    that squeezing the mighty mouse with the thumb and ring finger will do
    that, and I was gripping it *just* tightly enough to occasionally
    trigger it.

    Obviously, I need to de-stress a bit and quit trying to strangle poor,
    defenseless rodents. Meanwhile, I've taken a quick trip to the system
    preferences to disable that particular shortcut. :)

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com
    Sherm Pendley, Aug 22, 2008
  6. Bent C Dalager

    zerg Guest

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > There's another slight problem with the wired Mighty Mouse. It seems to
    > occasionally send the cursor rapidly to the side of the screen. (And,
    > since I have hot corners for Expose and Spaces, that was particularly
    > annoying!). Based on what I was able to find via Google, this may have
    > something to do with the mouse surface--people report the problem is
    > greatly reduced or goes away when they use a mouse pad instead of a bare
    > desk.

    Optical mouse with LED? That seems to be a general problem with those.

    The color of the surface matters, too. It will jump all the time on a
    black surface, because little of the LED light reflects back. Colors
    close to green are not ideal, but work much better. White and colors
    close to red may work best.
    zerg, Sep 2, 2008