Re: the meaning of r’.......‘

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Jul 23, 2012.

  1. On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Terry Reedy <> wrote:

    >> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM, levi nie <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> the meaning of r’.......‘?

    >> It's a raw string.
    >>
    >> http://docs.python.org/py3k/tutorial/introduction.html#strings

    > Strictly speaking, it is a raw string literal, which should be parsed as raw
    > (string literal) and NOT as (raw string) literal. I know that the docs
    > sometimes leave off 'literal', but that sometimes confuses people that there
    > is such a thing as a raw string instance.

    True, but then, the same elision is also seen in, for instance, 12345
    being an "integer" not a "decimal integer literal". There's no
    difference between 0x3039 and 12345, but if someone asked what the 0x
    meant, I'd explain it as "hex literal".

    Though you're right, it does cause some problems.

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Jul 23, 2012