Re: The node.js Community is Quietly Changing the Face of Open Source

Discussion in 'Python' started by Sven, Apr 16, 2013.

  1. Sven

    Sven Guest

    On 16 April 2013 17:25, Ned Batchelder <> wrote:

    > On 4/16/2013 12:02 PM, Rodrick Brown wrote:
    >
    > I came across this article which sums up some of the issues I have with
    > modern programming languages. I've never really looked at Javascript for
    > anything serious or Node itself but I found this article really
    > informational.
    >
    > "The “Batteries included” philosophy of Python was definitely the right
    > approach during the mid 90’s and one of the reasons that I loved Pythonso
    > much; this was a time before modern package management, and before it was
    > easy to find and install community-created libraries. Nowadays though I
    > think it’s counter-productive. Developers in the community rarely wantto
    > bother trying to compete with the standard library, so people are less
    > likely to try to write libraries that improve upon it."
    >

    > http://caines.ca/blog/programming/the-node-js-community-is-quietly-changing-the-face-of-open-source/
    >

    > I don't want to get into a package pissing match, but this math is just
    > silly:
    >
    > *python*: 29,720 packages / 22 years =* 1351 packages per year*
    >
    > *ruby*: 54,385 packages / 18 years = *3022 packages per year*
    >
    > *node.js* 26,966 packages / 4 years = *6742 packages per year
    > *
    > If you want to know how fast something is growing, you don't measure 22
    > years and divide by 22. You look at the number of packages added in the
    > last year (or month). Also the assertion that people don't want to compete
    > with the stdlib seems like pure supposition. There are plenty of
    > well-loved packages that "compete" with the stdlib. Lxml, Requests,
    > Twisted, etc, and plenty of packages in the stdlib that started as outside
    > "competition".

    Even looking at the last year/month might be give skewed results.
    If a technology is new, there's a lot more packages that need writing than
    if it's been around for 22 years, thus I'd expect to see the first year or
    second year as a good comparison point.

    --
    ../Sven
    Sven, Apr 16, 2013