Re: The node.js Community is Quietly Changing the Face of Open Source

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Apr 16, 2013.

  1. On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Andrew Berg <> wrote:
    > On 2013.04.16 11:02, Rodrick Brown wrote:
    >> I came across this article which sums up some of the issues I have with modern programming languages. I've never really looked at Javascript
    >> for anything serious or Node itself but I found this article really informational.

    > With third-party libraries everywhere, there can easily be duplicate functionality where there doesn't need to be (there could
    > be silly bikeshed issues or perhaps one developer simply doesn't know about the other project).

    Or, since developers don't know about everything that's available,
    they hand-roll equivalent functionality directly into the application,
    instead of using a library/module.

    One of the problems I had installing a Ruby app was that some of the
    dependencies weren't as tidily packaged as could be hoped. I had to
    fidget with them to make them build on my system (from C source),
    which is something that doesn't particularly bother me (I install
    stuff from source all the time), but it did make it rather harder to
    deploy the app. Having a larger standard library guarantees that
    they'll all work on all formally-supported platforms. Are third-party
    extension builders going to guarantee that their code compiles on
    platforms they can't test on? I doubt it. Now maybe that's not an
    issue with node.js (if everything's written in the high-level
    language, platform support is easier, even trivial), but it certainly
    would be for Python.

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Apr 16, 2013