Re: "The urlopen() and urlretrieve() functions can cause arbitrarilylong delays"

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ian Kelly, Feb 24, 2013.

  1. Ian Kelly

    Ian Kelly Guest

    On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM, 7segment <> wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > The subject is a segment of a sentence which I copied from Python's
    > official homepage. In whole, it reads:
    >
    > "The urlopen() and urlretrieve() functions can cause arbitrarily long
    > delays while waiting for a network connection to be set up. This means
    > that it is difficult to build an interactive Web client using these
    > functions without using threads."

    I believe what this is warning about is that if a network connection
    is not immediately available when the functions are called, they will
    block while waiting for one rather than returning control to the
    calling function. If used in an interactive client without threads,
    this would cause the application to appear to "hang" while urllib
    waits for a response. I don't think it's meant to suggest that urllib
    is responsible for the delays; that sounds like a problem with your
    network configuration.

    Ian Kelly, Feb 24, 2013