Re: The usage of -m option of python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Mar 27, 2013.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 3/18/2013 11:03 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
    > On 3/18/2013 5:17 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I don't quite understand how -m option is used. And it is difficult to
    >> search for -m in google. Could anybody provide me with an example on
    >> how to use this option?

    > python -m test
    > at a command line runs the regression tests in the test package
    > python -m test -v test_difflib
    > runs test.test_difflib in verbose mode.
    >
    > These are alternatives to
    > python <path-to-test> ...
    > Python just searches for module itself, same as for import, but executes
    > it as main module instead of importing.
    >
    > This is really handy for developers running tests, where path-to-test is
    > not only a nuisance to type, but different for development builds than
    > for installations, and of course, different for each version. Let python
    > find the /Lib corresponding to the executable.
    >
    > I am not sure if it works for things outside /Lib

    It does. All startup options are explained in the section "1.1 Command
    line" of the doc "Python Setup and Usage"

    The entry for -m starts "Search sys.path for the named module and
    execute its contents as the __main__ module." and continues another 14
    lines.

    Along with other startup options, '-m' is indexed on the Symbols page of
    the index.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Mar 27, 2013