Re: The worst 'hello world' example ever written...

Discussion in 'C++' started by Greg Comeau, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Greg Comeau

    Greg Comeau Guest

    In article <1IUdb.2036$>,
    Beth <> wrote:
    >Frank Schmitt wrote:
    >> Beth wrote:
    >> > Oh, in which case, ignore the other post I made about making it an
    >> > error...let me guess: It can't be done because original K&R C
    >> > syntax allowed it and, thus, forever more, it must be allowed...

    >> No, sadly the standard committee don't even have *that* excuse -
    >> implicit 'return 0;' at the end of main was introduced with the
    >> 98 C++ standard, AFAIK.

    >Well, Andrew Koenig gives a slightly different history elsewhere in
    >the thread...but I'm no C / C++ standards expert so I'll leave you
    >two - if you can be bothered - to fight over the details of where it
    >might have come from...

    Implicit return 0; WAS introduced in C++98, and (now that I
    see there is hundreds of messages in this thread) looking back
    Andy even said so. My recollection of the committee meetings
    and proposals are similar to the details Andy offered, if
    not exactly the same. Clearly, the original K&R did not allow
    void main, which I think it what Frank was saying, since void
    was not a K&R keyword, but it did allow main() {....}
    --
    Greg Comeau/4.3.3:Full C++03 core language + more Windows backends
    Greg Comeau, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Greg Comeau

    Beth Guest

    Greg Comeau wrote:
    > Beth wrote:
    > >Well, Andrew Koenig gives a slightly different history elsewhere in
    > >the thread...but I'm no C / C++ standards expert so I'll leave you
    > >two - if you can be bothered - to fight over the details of where

    it
    > >might have come from...

    > Implicit return 0; WAS introduced in C++98, and (now that I
    > see there is hundreds of messages in this thread) looking back
    > Andy even said so. My recollection of the committee meetings
    > and proposals are similar to the details Andy offered, if
    > not exactly the same. Clearly, the original K&R did not allow
    > void main, which I think it what Frank was saying, since void
    > was not a K&R keyword, but it did allow main() {....}

    Yeah, cool...as I said, I don't see - other than for curiousity's
    sake - that it greatly matters where it came from specifically...I'm
    much more concern by what it's doing now and where it's likely to head
    in the future...especially as I don't claim to be any sort of "expert"
    in C++ standards (other than the reasonable amount needed for
    practically writing the odd C++ application from time to time :)...I'm
    only here because of a cross-post, after all...sorry, my comment
    wasn't in any way to cast any aspersions over who's right or wrong,
    it's just that I noticed Andy's history wasn't completely the same so
    was just displaying my "neutrality" on the subject because I have
    absolutely no idea who's right or wrong here at all :)

    Oh, just ignore me...I'm not saying anything interesting here,
    anyway...sorry, I'll just retreat to somewhere quiet now, I think :)

    Beth :)
    Beth, Sep 29, 2003