Re: Thoughts about Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "b-blochl" <> wrote in message
    > <Marco Aschwanden> : "Thoughts about Python"

    > I find your Thoughts about Python very interesting and valuable. I agree
    > in many of your arguments.

    He mostly presented not arguments but unsupported ideas. Most are based on
    misunderstandings with obvious flaws to experienced Pythoneers.

    > I would recommend you to post your thoughts directly to
    > .

    NO! Do not do this. Guido is already way too busy to have such stuff
    imposed on him.
    Posting here was exactly the right thing to do.

    >Guido is the source for a possible change.

    Actually most ideas come from someone else. Small fixes and changes often
    get approved by one of the other developers. Important decisions by Guido
    require a PEP or patch and usually discussion on the developers list.

    Terry J. Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Feb 24, 2004

  2. > > I find your Thoughts about Python very interesting and valuable. I agree
    > > in many of your arguments.

    > He mostly presented not arguments but unsupported ideas. Most are based on
    > misunderstandings with obvious flaws to experienced Pythoneers.

    I cannot rule out misunderstandings and yes, I cannot see obvious
    flaws (still can't, but I obviously have to read through all the
    material to get answers). I do admit, that my "thoughts/ideas" may
    have implications on the interpreter/language I cannot assess.

    > > I would recommend you to post your thoughts directly to
    > > .

    > NO! Do not do this. Guido is already way too busy to have such stuff
    > imposed on him.
    > Posting here was exactly the right thing to do.
    >
    > >Guido is the source for a possible change.

    I won't, don't be scared.

    Obviously my "ideas/thoughts" are MY "personal problem" with Python as
    I understand the comments so far and I must first learn more Python
    before I can state things that disturbed me while learning...

    Greetings from a Python-learner,
    Marco

    Marco Aschwanden, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Marco Aschwanden" <> wrote

    > How many "object oriented" languages do you know ...

    Python is object-based and allows its flavor of object-oriented
    programming, but it is not restrictively objected-oriented way that Java
    and some other languages are. One can write Python programs, even fairly
    large programs, with modules, statements, and functions, without ever using
    the class statement.

    > Obviously my "ideas/thoughts" are MY "personal problem" with Python as
    > I understand the comments so far and I must first learn more Python
    > before I can state things that disturbed me while learning...

    It is one thing to ask questions, another to express opinions, and a third
    to dogmatically present opinions and preferences as facts and shoulds.
    Perhaps you did more of the third than you intended.

    Terry J. Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Feb 24, 2004
  4. "Terry Reedy" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Marco Aschwanden" <> wrote
    >
    > > How many "object oriented" languages do you know ...

    > Python is object-based and allows its flavor of object-oriented
    > programming, but it is not restrictively objected-oriented way that Java
    > and some other languages are. One can write Python programs, even fairly
    > large programs, with modules, statements, and functions, without ever using
    > the class statement.
    >
    > > Obviously my "ideas/thoughts" are MY "personal problem" with Python as
    > > I understand the comments so far and I must first learn more Python
    > > before I can state things that disturbed me while learning...

    > It is one thing to ask questions, another to express opinions, and a third
    > to dogmatically present opinions and preferences as facts and shoulds.
    > Perhaps you did more of the third than you intended.
    >
    > Terry J. Reedy

    I agree. Sorry for that.
    Marco

    Marco Aschwanden, Feb 25, 2004