Re: Thoughts on implementing this idea

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Andrew Pressel, Jul 30, 2006.

  1. widox wrote:
    > I am thinking of writing an application that downloads a file from
    > multiple servers, parses and aggregates them together, and puts them in
    > a database. Then using this info in the DB creates HTML pages
    > displaying those stats, probably once a day, or maybe even on-demand.
    > I'm not quite sure where to begin, and what language is best suited for
    > the job. Would Perl be well suited to do these things? Any
    > thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated. -Thanks

    Absolutely, parsing data like that is what Perl does best.

    you'll probably want to take a look at the LWP packages. This will help
    you pull down the pages from the servers you want to use.

    I use these packages currently to download the tour dates page from my
    favorite band. Then I compare it to the previous run and email myself
    any new dates that are added and removed.
    Andrew Pressel, Jul 30, 2006