Re: timers

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Dec 8, 2003.

  1. Server side timers aren't much good with ASP.NET pages because they only
    exist long enough for the HTML to be generated and sent to the client
    (usually a few milliseconds.)
    Therefore you'll probably find a client side timer more useful, which
    executes in the user's browser and therefore keeps going as long as the page
    is open in the user's browser.

    Here's an example for you:
    http://www.crowes.f9.co.uk/Javascript/timer.htm

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    "Stephen McCrea" <> wrote in message
    > I am new to asp. I tried implementing a timer in a System.Web.UI.Page
    > derived class to perform periodic refreshes of the interface and calls to

    > web service but it does not seem to work as I expected. I could not set

    its

    3
    > seconds already (it updates the text field of a label control), but

    whenever

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Dec 8, 2003