    -----Original Message-----
    From: python-list-bounces+mmitchell=
    [mailto:python-list-bounces+mmitchell=] On
    Behalf Of Matt Mitchell
    Sent: Friday, November 13, 2009 9:33 AM
    Subject: tkFileDialog question

    Hi,

    This is my first attempt to write a script with any kind of gui. All I
    need the script to do is ask the user for a directory and then do stuff
    with the files in that directory. I used tkFileDialog.askdirectory().
    It works great but it pops up an empty tk window. Is there any way to
    prevent the empty tk window from popping up? Here's the code:

    import tkFileDialog

    answer = tkFileDialog.askdirectory()

    if answer is not '':
    #do stuff

    Thanks!
    Matt

    After a few more hours of googling I answered my own question:

    import Tkinter, tkFileDialog

    root = Tk()
    root.withdraw()

    Matt Mitchell, Nov 13, 2009

  2. Matt Mitchell

    r Guest

    On Nov 13, 2:47 pm, "Matt Mitchell" <> wrote:
    > -----------------------------------
    > The information contained in this electronic message and any attached document(s) is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients named above. This message may be confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately by telephone (603) 262-6300 or by electronic mail immediately. Thank you.

    hello Matt,

    Here is one way

    import Tkinter as tk
    from tkFileDialog import askdirectory
    import os

    root = tk.Tk()
    root.withdraw()

    folder = askdirectory()
    if folder:
    root.destroy() #make sure to do this!!!!
    print os.listdir(folder)

    root.mainloop()

    good luck!

    r, Nov 14, 2009