Re: Tkinter on RedHat Linux 9.0

Discussion in 'Python' started by rich hammett, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. rich hammett

    rich hammett Guest

    Sen jälkeen, kun Perry Mason oli pahoinpidellyt
    häntä, Thomas Korb yllätti tuomarin todistamalla:
    > On Sat, 10 May 2003 14:34:05 -0600, Don Donigan wrote:
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me how to install Tkinter on RedHat Linux 9.0?
    >> I have not need successfull as of yet. Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > You have to install the following 4 RPM packages:

    > 1. python 2. tcl 3. tk 4. tkinter

    Is there any way to update the python.org webpage for
    Tkinter? It currently says you never need to download
    tkinter separately, which has had me chasing my tail
    here for a few days.

    rich

    --
    -to reply, it's hot not warm
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    rich hammett, Feb 25, 2004

  2. rich hammett

    rich hammett Guest

    Sen jälkeen, kun Perry Mason oli pahoinpidellyt
    häntä, rich hammett yllätti tuomarin todistamalla:
    > Sen jälkeen, kun Perry Mason oli pahoinpidellyt
    > häntä, Thomas Korb yllätti tuomarin todistamalla:
    >> On Sat, 10 May 2003 14:34:05 -0600, Don Donigan wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone tell me how to install Tkinter on RedHat Linux 9.0?
    >>> I have not need successfull as of yet. Thanks in advance.
    >>>

    >> You have to install the following 4 RPM packages:

    >> 1. python 2. tcl 3. tk 4. tkinter

    > Is there any way to update the python.org webpage for
    > Tkinter? It currently says you never need to download
    > tkinter separately, which has had me chasing my tail
    > here for a few days.

    In fact, the python rpm from redhat CLAIMS to include
    Tkinter already. I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

    rich

    --
    -to reply, it's hot not warm
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    rich hammett, Feb 25, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    rich hammett <> wrote:

    >In fact, the python rpm from redhat CLAIMS to include
    >Tkinter already. I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

    My own experience with a freshly installed RH 9 system was that it
    included fairly old versions of tcl/tk and python, but no Tkinter.

    But it seems likely that there are downloadable Python RPMs that include
    Tkinter. (Whether that includes the RPM at the RedHat site, I could not
    say.) Still... it's really easy to build Python from source (kudos to
    the developers!), and if tcl/tk are available in the usual location then
    Tkinter is automatically built. (That's the route I went because I also
    wanted a special destination directory.) If you do go this route, be
    sure to check the ReadMe; there's a build flag you should set for RH
    Linux.

    -- Russell
    Russell E. Owen, Feb 26, 2004
  4. rich hammett

    rich hammett Guest

    Sen jälkeen, kun Perry Mason oli pahoinpidellyt
    häntä, Russell E. Owen yllätti tuomarin todistamalla:
    > In article <>,
    > rich hammett <> wrote:

    >>In fact, the python rpm from redhat CLAIMS to include
    >>Tkinter already. I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

    > My own experience with a freshly installed RH 9 system was that it
    > included fairly old versions of tcl/tk and python, but no Tkinter.

    > But it seems likely that there are downloadable Python RPMs that include
    > Tkinter. (Whether that includes the RPM at the RedHat site, I could not
    > say.) Still... it's really easy to build Python from source (kudos to
    > the developers!), and if tcl/tk are available in the usual location then
    > Tkinter is automatically built. (That's the route I went because I also
    > wanted a special destination directory.) If you do go this route, be
    > sure to check the ReadMe; there's a build flag you should set for RH
    > Linux.

    Thanks, I also found some discussion on some RedHat boards about
    this issue. None of them mentioned the RedHat flag, though.

    rich
    --
    -to reply, it's hot not warm
    rich hammett, Mar 3, 2004