Re: TMS9914 Gpib controller

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Mike Treseler, Jan 17, 2010.

  1. Jim Flanagan wrote:
    > I would like to attempt to write vhdl which would
    > replicate the functionality of this device. Has anyone
    > ever done this so that I could study some of their
    > code? I'm fairly new to VHDL and haven't done
    > anything near this complicated. Any help that
    > can be offered would be appreciated.

    For about the cost of the IEEE specs,
    I can buy a usb/gpip dongle ready to plug in.
    http://store.prologix.biz/gpco.html?gclid=CMPQla-DrJ8CFSUlagodx0C11A

    If I really needed this function I would buy it.
    If I wanted a hobby project,
    I would pick something less than 10 years old.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Jan 17, 2010

  2. Jim Flanagan wrote:

    > Hi, Mike...
    > Yes, I understand what you are saying. I actually own about 5 different
    > controllers, from USB, RS232 and PCI card. My intent is to *learn*
    > VHDL and am looking for a meaningful project. That is my goal..

    If that is meaningful to you go for it,
    but I wouldn't expect to find any related vhdl code.

    The IEEE-488 spec came out in 1975.
    VHDL wasn't in common use until the 1990s.
    Here are my code examples: http://mysite.verizon.net/miketreseler/
    Good luck.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Jan 17, 2010

  3. Mike Treseler

    Anssi Saari Guest

    Maybe you could take part in some project at opencores.org?

    Anssi Saari, Jan 17, 2010
  4. Mike Treseler

    HT-Lab Guest

    "Mike Treseler" <> wrote in message
    > Jim Flanagan wrote:
    >> I would like to attempt to write vhdl which would
    >> replicate the functionality of this device. Has anyone
    >> ever done this so that I could study some of their
    >> code? I'm fairly new to VHDL and haven't done
    >> anything near this complicated. Any help that
    >> can be offered would be appreciated.

    > For about the cost of the IEEE specs,
    > I can buy a usb/gpip dongle ready to plug in.
    > http://store.prologix.biz/gpco.html?gclid=CMPQla-DrJ8CFSUlagodx0C11A
    >
    > If I really needed this function I would buy it.
    > If I wanted a hobby project,
    > I would pick something less than 10 years old.

    This statement doesn't make any sense to me.

    Anyway, I think it is a good project and I don't believe it is particular
    difficult. Back in my university days I remember a student building one using an
    ordinary 82C55 parallel port. Probably the most time consuming part will be the
    software.

    So Jim, go for it!

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com