Re: to a human - about 2to3

Discussion in 'Python' started by Paul Rudin, May 1, 2013.

  1. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    "Jennifer Butler" <> writes:

    > Hiya
    >
    > I have trawled around your various pages and haven’t found what I
    > want.
    >
    > I will start teaching Python to my pupils shortly. I have been looking
    > for materials and have gathered a collection of programs. The problem
    > is they are written in v2 and I have v3 installed in my classroom. I
    > read about the 2to3 conversion program, but I can’t get it to work.
    >
    > Could you possibly give me a Noddy’s guide to do this?

    Perhaps the first thing you should teach your students is how to ask
    questions :)

    When you say you "can't get it to work" what does that mean? What
    exactly did you do? What happened as a result? How did that differ from
    what you expected to happen or hoped would happen? Can you construct a
    minimal specific example that illustrates your problem?
    Paul Rudin, May 1, 2013

  2. On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 1:11 AM, Paul Rudin <> wrote:
    > "Jennifer Butler" <> writes:
    >
    >> Hiya
    >>
    >> I have trawled around your various pages and haven’t found what I
    >> want.
    >>
    >> I will start teaching Python to my pupils shortly. I have been looking
    >> for materials and have gathered a collection of programs. The problem
    >> is they are written in v2 and I have v3 installed in my classroom. I
    >> read about the 2to3 conversion program, but I can’t get it to work.
    >>
    >> Could you possibly give me a Noddy’s guide to do this?

    > Perhaps the first thing you should teach your students is how to ask
    > questions :)

    Specifically, you and your students would do well spending a couple of
    sessions here:

    2to3 has fairly good --help information. In my porting projects, I
    started there and worked forward. Seemed to go fairly well.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, May 1, 2013