Re: TODO and FIXME tags

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Rebert, Nov 17, 2009.

  1. Chris Rebert

    Chris Rebert Guest

    2009/11/16 Yasser Almeida Hernández <>:
    > Hi all..
    > Sorry if this question sound elemental.
    > How is the sintaxis for set the TODO and FIXME tags...?

    There is no special syntax for those. Some people use them in
    comments, but it's just a convention.

    Cheers,
    Chris
    --
    http://blog.rebertia.com

    Chris Rebert, Nov 17, 2009

  2. Ben Finney wrote:
    > Chris Rebert <> writes:
    >
    >> 2009/11/16 Yasser Almeida Hernández <>:
    >>> How is the sintaxis for set the TODO and FIXME tags...?

    >> There is no special syntax for those. Some people use them in
    >> comments, but it's just a convention.

    > This is true. However, the convention is fairly well established, and
    > many text editor default configurations will highlight the strings
    > ‘TODO’, ‘FIXME’, and others wherever they appear in comments.
    >
    > There's no widely-followed “syntax†for this convention, though.

    Except for _not_ doing what is suggested in those comments, which
    appears to be the biggest convention :)

    --
    MPH
    http://blog.dcuktec.com

    Martin P. Hellwig, Nov 17, 2009

  3. Chris Rebert

    Falcolas Guest

    On Nov 17, 4:27 am, "Martin P. Hellwig" <>
    wrote:
    > Ben Finney wrote:
    > > Chris Rebert <> writes:

    > >> There is no special syntax for those. Some people use them in
    > >> comments, but it's just a convention.

    > > This is true. However, the convention is fairly well established, and
    > > many text editor default configurations will highlight the strings
    > > ‘TODO’, ‘FIXME’, and others wherever they appear in comments.

    > > There's no widely-followed “syntax” for this convention, though.

    I have noticed that within Python XXX as an identifier is fairly
    popular as well - it's used throughout the standard libraries, and is
    recognized by many syntax highlighting schemes, as well as Pylint.

    Garrick

    Falcolas, Nov 17, 2009
  4. Scott David Daniels wrote:
    > Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
    >> Ben Finney wrote:

    >>> There's no widely-followed “syntax†for this convention, though.

    >> Except for _not_ doing what is suggested in those comments, which
    >> appears to be the biggest convention :)

    > Perhaps: "The comments are a directive to delete the comment if
    > you happen do this."
    >
    > --Scott David Daniels

    I guess the world is split in two categories, those how come back to fix
    the TODO, and those how don't. I for myself belong to the second, that
    is why I never write TODO comments, I either do the stuff or consider
    this is not important enough to waste time on it. In other words I
    mostly agree with Martin, and envy people belonging to the first category.

    JM

    Jean-Michel Pichavant, Nov 18, 2009
  5. Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:

    > I guess the world is split in two categories, those how come back to fix
    > the TODO, and those how don't. I for myself belong to the second, that
    > is why I never write TODO comments, I either do the stuff or consider
    > this is not important enough to waste time on it. In other words I
    > mostly agree with Martin, and envy people belonging to the first category.

    I am in a third category, I added this line to my python.vim syntax file

    syn keyword pythonTodo WTF LOL SNAFU contained

    and envy those who didn't :)

    Marco Mariani, Nov 19, 2009