Re: Total newbie: ASP.NET or Coldfusion ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Joe Iano, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Joe Iano

    Joe Iano Guest

    In my opinion, for those without a programming background, CF is *much*
    easier to learn than ASP or ASP.Net.
    CF requires extra server software. IIS is easy to come by.
    ..Net is a more powerful platform. You would have to combine CF with Java to
    get something comparable.
    The long-time CF programmers I know are moving to other platforms due to
    performance limitations in CF.

    "Yasso Picasso" <> wrote in message
    Greetings,

    Will anyone please give me an HONEST answer to the question of whether
    I should study ASP.NET or Coldfusion? Based on the fact that I'm a
    total newbie to either. I just wanna start with databases.

    But I'm already a web designer, and have used Macromedia products like
    Fireworks, Flash, and Dreamweaver for years already. And I just want
    to start getting myself into databases to increase my skills and also
    explore this field. I am a fan of Macromedia, but this does not mean
    that I will just blindly choose to go for Coldfusion. A friend of mine
    has recommended ASP.NET, and not Coldfusion. But I want to hear other
    opinions. But please, make your answer very honest, unbiased in a
    romanticist way...just based on facts and honest, straightforward
    comparison.

    My question is not only concered with ease of use or speed only, for
    instance. I actually want to include the demand for professionals in
    both, the market share of both, what kind of companies require either
    and why, is the integration with other Macromedia products like Flash,
    Fireworks, and Dreamweaver (which I already know) worth the decision
    of going for Coldfusion rather than ASP.NET even if Coldfusion falls
    short in a few things, many other related questions too. I would
    appreciate a smart and convincing and to-the-point answer.

    Sincerely,

    Yasso

    P.S. If this is not the right newsgroup to post, please direct me to
    the right one and sorry for the inconvenience.
    Joe Iano, Jun 25, 2003

  2. I have to agree with you Joe, concerning the ease of use. ASP.Net is very
    powerful, and the CLR is very large and complex. I can't imagine how anyone
    would think that ASP.Net is easier to use than CF, unless they haven't done
    that much with it.

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft FrontPage MVP