Re: Total newbie: ASP.NET or Coldfusion ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\), Jun 25, 2003.

  1. ..NET is vastly more powerful than anyhting else on the market, but its not
    the easiest to pick up for newbies.

    Cold Fusion is not a greatly required skill but its relatively easy to
    learn.............

    A better option for a beginner would be PHP, which is a very good scripting
    language and is very popular. It would teach you the basics of web
    scripting, DB's etc and still allow you to learn about object programming
    when you get better at it. Then you can migrate to asp.NET as the langauge
    syntax in PHP is quite C/Perl like, so its relatively like C# syntax wise in
    some respects

    --
    Regards

    John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)
    <shameless_author_plug>
    ISBN:1-861007-91-4
    Professional Windows Forms
    ISBN: 1861005547
    Professional JSP 2nd Edition
    ISBN: 1861004958
    Professional JSP
    ISBN: 1861003625
    Beginning JSP Web Development
    ISBN: 1861002092
    </shameless_author_plug>

    John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\), Jun 25, 2003

  2. Hey everyone, thank you very much for all the advice and bits of useful
    information. I think I'm getting the grasp on this, I mean the way I
    should follow. I think I should study general programming along with
    general database design (if you know of any material available to study
    this, please tell me), along with SQL. Then take this knowledge to
    ASP.NET, VB, and .NET Framework. Not an easy process at all, I'm sure,
    but I guess it all starts with one step and determination.

    Questions that still occupy my mind are: any resources to start studying
    general ideas of database design plus any general programming skills
    that will help me specifically in database design? And what is the
    difference between SQL and MySQL, if there is any? Also does it make a
    difference when I see courses for "SQL 2000"? Is that an old version or
    something?

    Thanks again.

    Yasso Picasso, Jun 26, 2003