Re: Total newbie: ASP.NET or Coldfusion ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kevin Spencer, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Hi Yasso,

    > So now, just to make sure, my understanding is that any terms like
    > "MySQL" or "MS SQL 2000 Administration" or "SQL Server" bla bla, are
    > always referring to "software servers" that work with databases saved on
    > the "hardware servers" using the SQL language. Is this right?

    I'm not sure I understand your question. Let me put it this way. A database
    server is a piece of software that provides databases and all of their
    functionality via a network Service. The Service listens on a port for
    incoming requests, and handles them, in much the same way that a web server
    is a network service which listens on TCP/IP port 80 for incoming requests,
    and serves up resources stored in its' webs. Most database servers have
    several different "interfaces" or methods of interfacing with them. Among
    these interfaces are OLE DB, ODBC, and others. The interface allows a
    connection to be established to the server, and commands can be sent through
    this connection using the SQL language.

    > And, as I do not intend to be an administrator of a sever, but a
    > designer developer, then I do not need to study or take training in
    > anything that holds any of those many terms, but only study "SQL" as a
    > programming or scripting language. Right?

    Well, sort of. You need to understand how the database server you're working
    with is connected to as well, and what its' capabilities are, such as the
    capability of creating an working with Stored Procedures, Views, Distributed
    Queries, Transactions, etc. And, as I mentioned before, although there is an
    ANSI/ISO standard for SQL, each database uses it's own "flavor" of SQL. So
    you need to understand the proprietary aspects of the SQL language for the
    specific database you're working with.

    > This question is just out of curiousity, if the language is one
    > language, SQL, then why is there more than one software server that uses
    > it to talk to databases? MySQL and MS SQL Server? Why is that? Doesn't
    > Coldfusion, for instance, have only one Coldfusion Server produced now
    > by Macromedia?

    As an answer, let me ask you a question: Why is there more than one software
    that uses the ASCII character set? It's all a matter of cross-platform
    compatibility, interoperability, and ease of use. The more a piece of
    software uses common standards, the easier it is to work with, the better it
    can interoperate with other systems, and the more likely it is that people
    will use it. SQL is text-based, which makes it cross-platform-compatible. It
    is standardized, which makes it easy to move from one database platform to
    another without having to master a huge proprietary learning curve.

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    Internet Developer