Re: Tracking .pdf downloads

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Ioannis wrote:

    > Thanks for the answer. I am not aware of what a "meta-refresh" is. Could you
    > elaborate please?
    >
    > In other words, what kind of html code should the html page on the server
    > contain (apart from the tracker of course).

    IOn your site, dont link to the pdf file directly. Link to a HTML page.
    Call it what you want, but put the tracker software on it.

    <head>
    <title>Please Wait</title>
    </head>

    Please wait. Your browser is automatically being re-directed to the PDF
    file. If it has not automatically done this within 5 seconds, please
    click <a href="www.url.com/file.pdf">here</a>.

    ***INSERT TRACKER CODING HERE*** (or whereever it goes)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Ioannis Guest

    Ï "Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    > Ioannis wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the answer. I am not aware of what a "meta-refresh" is. Could

    you
    > > elaborate please?
    > >
    > > In other words, what kind of html code should the html page on the

    server
    > > contain (apart from the tracker of course).

    > IOn your site, dont link to the pdf file directly. Link to a HTML page.
    > Call it what you want, but put the tracker software on it.

    > <head>
    > <title>Please Wait</title>
    > </head>

    > Please wait. Your browser is automatically being re-directed to the PDF
    > file. If it has not automatically done this within 5 seconds, please
    > click <a href="www.url.com/file.pdf">here</a>.
    >

    > ***INSERT TRACKER CODING HERE*** (or whereever it goes)

    Many thanks. It works 8*)
    --
    Ioannis Galidakis
    http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/
    Ioannis, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Ioannis wrote:
    > Many thanks. It works 8*)

    Wouldn't you want something that works all the time? Not just eight
    times? :)

    On a more serious note; I really would not suggest going down this route. It
    is very irritating to think a link points to a PDF, to right click and Save
    Link To Disk, and then find that you've downloaded an HTML document with a
    meta refresh in it.

    Your webserver almost certainly records each request in its log files, use a
    log file analysis tool (such as Analog or Webalizer) instead.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Ioannis Guest

    Ï "David Dorward" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    > Ioannis wrote:
    > > Many thanks. It works 8*)

    > Wouldn't you want something that works all the time? Not just eight
    > times? :)
    >
    > On a more serious note; I really would not suggest going down this route.

    It
    > is very irritating to think a link points to a PDF, to right click and

    Save
    > Link To Disk, and then find that you've downloaded an HTML document with a
    > meta refresh in it.
    >
    > Your webserver almost certainly records each request in its log files, use

    > log file analysis tool (such as Analog or Webalizer) instead.

    > Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    Agreed. I've already explored the ISP server logs options. It's not
    feasible. My ISP doesn't release its logs, for some strange privacy reason.
    This is inherently stupid, but nevertheless limits my solution to the one
    above.

    Thanks everyone,
    Ioannis, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Jan Harders Guest

    Ioannis <> wrote:
    >> On a more serious note; I really would not suggest going down this
    >> route. It is very irritating to think a link points to a PDF, to
    >> right click and Save Link To Disk, and then find that you've
    >> downloaded an HTML document with a meta refresh in it.
    >>
    >> Your webserver almost certainly records each request in its log
    >> files, use a log file analysis tool (such as Analog or Webalizer)
    >> instead.

    > Agreed. I've already explored the ISP server logs options. It's not
    > feasible. My ISP doesn't release its logs, for some strange privacy
    > reason. This is inherently stupid, but nevertheless limits my
    > solution to the one above.

    Do you have scripting-support on your server (e.g. perl or php)? If so, you
    could easily call a script which will write the name of the requested pdf to
    a logfile for you and then output the pdf to the browser or redirect to it
    with a temporary moved-header. Should do the job nearly as nice (well,
    having two sources of tracking-data) and will allow downloads as David was
    worried about, which is a good point imho, so this would be the better
    solution.

    jan
    Jan Harders, Jun 13, 2004