Re: training for newbies

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jarek Zgoda, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Jarek Zgoda

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Jarek Zgoda, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Jarek Zgoda

    OM Guest

    U¿ytkownik "Jarek Zgoda" <> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
    > OM <> pisze:
    >
    > > do you know any sites with free programs for newbies, which will help me

    in
    > > progress? i know that only way to develop is writing programs, but in my
    > > book i don't have programs to write, only questions..

    > Check out http://www.uselesspython.com and Python Cookbook at
    > http://aspn.activestate.com

    Dzieki:] A polskie ?
    OM, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Jarek Zgoda

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    OM <> pisze:

    >> > do you know any sites with free programs for newbies, which will
    >> > help me in
    >> > progress? i know that only way to develop is writing programs, but
    >> > in my book i don't have programs to write, only questions..

    >> Check out http://www.uselesspython.com and Python Cookbook at
    >> http://aspn.activestate.com

    > Dzieki:] A polskie ?

    You can find Polish translation of original Guido tutorial at
    http://www.python.org.pl. There are some links to other documents in
    Polish too. Anyway, you can ask your questions in Polish at
    pl.comp.lang.python newsgroup.

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    Registered Linux User #-1
    Jarek Zgoda, Jul 14, 2003
  4. Jarek Zgoda

    Peter Scott Guest

    > > do you know any sites with free programs for newbies, which will help me in
    > > progress? i know that only way to develop is writing programs, but in my
    > > book i don't have programs to write, only questions..

    > Check out http://www.uselesspython.com and Python Cookbook at
    > http://aspn.activestate.com

    I can't recommend the Python Cookbook enough. Get the book if you can
    afford it. The discussions are great, giving you real understanding of
    the things being discussed. There is a world of difference between
    good python code and bad python code, and the python cookbook is a
    great way to learn good python style: by example and discussion.

    If you want programs to write, here are some ideas:

    A web spider, which should support the robots exclusion protocol (see
    the robotparser module in the standard library,
    <http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-robotparser.html>). Try
    extracting a list of images.

    Something that takes an URL to an RSS file and spits out an HTML file.
    You can also turn this into a CGI script if you like. This should be
    good practice for error handling, since not all RSS files have the
    same information. Some have Slashdot-style articles, with a headline,
    an article summary, and a link. Some just have a date and a paragraph
    about the author's cat. For extra credit, try making a module for
    generating HTML output (preferably valid HTML 4.01 or XHTML 1.0---with
    a seperate module, you just code the support once, and never worry
    about validity again). If you make an extra layer on top of that, you
    could generate output in more formats, like LaTeX. This is probably
    overkill, but you did say that you wanted programs to write. :)

    Have fun, and good luck!
    Peter Scott, Jul 14, 2003
  5. > progress? i know that only way to develop is writing programs, but ...

    Reading and improving existing good programs is usually a better
    learning approach, in my opinion, because you will learn which
    mistakes other people done and avoid them...
    Pedro Werneck, Jul 14, 2003