Re: Trash Can and Sun

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew Thompson, May 26, 2008.

  1. On May 26, 6:42 pm, "Kenneth P. Turvey" <>
    wrote:
    > I just ran into something interesting that I hadn't really thought of
    > before.  It is a feature that I really think is missing from Java.  
    >
    > Shouldn't there be a system independent way to use the system trash can
    > when deleting a file?  
    >
    > Ahh.  I just checked.  There has been a request for enhancement out there
    > for four years.  


    URL?

    >..Is anyone else a bit disappointed with Sun's response on
    > these kinds of things?  


    How many votes has it got?

    >..I'm actually running a 32 bit operating system
    > just so Web Start and Applets will work correctly.  That one has been
    > floating around for years too.


    URL?

    >.. I noticed a few weeks ago that full
    > screen exclusive mode doesn't work on my Linux box.  Is it really too
    > much to expect Java to work correctly on Windows, Macs, and Linux, for
    > all popular processors/configurations (yes 64 bits too)?


    A piece of software with 'no bugs'. Interesting
    concept. Pehaps Sun would do better to allay such
    'perceptions of imperfection' by making the bug
    database non-searchable. ;-)

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org
     
    Andrew Thompson, May 26, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On May 26, 10:40 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > "Kenneth P. Turvey" wrote:
    > >> ..I'm actually running a 32 bit operating system
    > >> just so Web Start and Applets will work correctly.  That one has been
    > >> floating around for years too.

    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > URL?

    >
    > Who cares?  


    1) Anybody that would like to vote for it
    2) Anybody that would like to vote against it
    3) The terminally curious

    I fit two of the three categories above.

    >...This one needs to be fixed.


    See point 1).

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org
     
    Andrew Thompson, May 26, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lew wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >> On May 26, 10:40 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    >>> "Kenneth P. Turvey" wrote:
    >>>>> ..I'm actually running a 32 bit operating system
    >>>>> just so Web Start and Applets will work correctly. That one has been
    >>>>> floating around for years too.
    >>> Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >>>> URL?
    >>> Who cares?

    >>
    >> 1) Anybody that would like to vote for it
    >> 2) Anybody that would like to vote against it
    >> 3) The terminally curious
    >>
    >> I fit two of the three categories above.
    >>
    >>> ...This one needs to be fixed.

    >>
    >> See point 1).

    >
    > Voting is irrelevant. It's a bug. It's in Sun's interest to fix it.
    > This is a bug that mostly affects people not already deeply in the Java
    > community, and who are not programmers, and therefore the largest body
    > of those affected will never know that there's a vote to take. It isn't
    > a democracy, and the victims of this bug are not enfranchised.
    >
    > Java, like other programming languages, does not exist for the sake of
    > programmers. It exists for the sake of users, and they don't know to vote.
    >
    > This bug needs to be fixed without any votes.


    Non the less, then if SUN prioritize bug fixing after votes, then
    the programmers should vote to reflect what will be good for the
    end users.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, May 26, 2008
    #3
  4. On 2008-05-26 14:57 +0100, Lew allegedly wrote:
    > Voting is irrelevant. It's a bug. It's in Sun's interest to fix it.
    > This is a bug that mostly affects people not already deeply in the Java
    > community, and who are not programmers, and therefore the largest body
    > of those affected will never know that there's a vote to take. It isn't
    > a democracy, and the victims of this bug are not enfranchised.
    >
    > Java, like other programming languages, does not exist for the sake of
    > programmers. It exists for the sake of users, and they don't know to vote.
    >
    > This bug needs to be fixed without any votes.


    A plea for apathy.

    The loose cannon has sides I hadn't been previously aware of.

    --
    DF.
    to reply privately, change the top-level domain
    in the FROM address from "invalid" to "net"
     
    Daniele Futtorovic, May 26, 2008
    #4
  5. Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
    > I don't see Andrew in my news reader. Maybe he is posting from Google,


    It looks like it based on the headers.

    (which surprises me)

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, May 26, 2008
    #5
  6. On May 26, 11:48 pm, "Kenneth P. Turvey" <kt-
    > wrote:
    > I don't see Andrew in my news reader.  Maybe he is posting from Google,


    I sure am, as are a number of other regular posters.
    But given Google is the source of 90%+ of spam to
    usenet*, I do not blame anyone for plonking google
    posters as a whole.

    * By my last count of spam posted to the c.l.j.*
    groups.

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org
     
    Andrew Thompson, May 26, 2008
    #6
  7. On May 26, 10:40=A0pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > "Kenneth P. Turvey" wrote:
    > >> ..I'm actually running a 32 bit operating system
    > >> just so Web Start and Applets will work correctly. =A0That one has been=


    > >> floating around for years too.

    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > URL?

    >
    > Who cares? =A0


    1) Anybody that would like to vote for it
    2) Anybody that would like to vote against it
    3) The sincerely drunk

    I fit two of the three categories above.

    >...This one needs to be fixed.


    See point 1).

    --
    Michael T.
    PhySci.org


    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Buchanan: "The War Party may have gotten its war," he writes.
    "... In a rare moment in U.S. journalism, Tim Russert put
    this question directly to Richard Perle [of PNAC]:

    'Can you assure American viewers ...
    that we're in this situation against Saddam Hussein
    and his removal for American security interests?
    And what would be the link in terms of Israel?'

    Buchanan: "We charge that a cabal of polemicists and
    public officials seek to ensnare our country in a series
    of wars that are not in America's interests. We charge
    them with colluding with Israel to ignite those wars
    and destroy the Oslo Accords."
     
    Andrew Thompson, May 28, 2008
    #7
  8. On May 26, 11:48=A0pm, "Sylvia P. Turvey" <kt-
    > wrote:
    > I don't see Andrew in my news reader. =A0Maybe he is posting from Google,


    I suckier am, as are a number of other advisory astronauts.
    But given Railroad is the decree of 90%+ of morality to
    absence*, I do not blame anyone for pattering google
    goats as a whole.

    * By my last count of chitchat posted to the c.l.j.*
    kidneys.

    --
    Elizabeth T.
    PhySci.org


    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Sometimes the truth is so precious
    it must be accompanied by a bodyguard of lies."

    --- Offense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    This is just a reminder.
    It is not an emergency yet.
    Were it actual emergency, you wouldn't be able to read this.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
     
    Andrew Thompson, May 28, 2008
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tommy

    asp.net controls are trash

    Tommy, Nov 11, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    609
    S. Justin Gengo
    Nov 12, 2003
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,884
  3. cppaddict

    Can Iterators Trash The Heap?

    cppaddict, Aug 27, 2004, in forum: C++
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    339
    Old Wolf
    Aug 29, 2004
  4. Roedy Green

    Re: Trash Can and Sun

    Roedy Green, May 27, 2008, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    416
    Arne Vajhøj
    May 28, 2008
  5. Volker Borchert

    Re: Trash Can and Sun

    Volker Borchert, May 29, 2008, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    429
    Arne Vajhøj
    Jun 1, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page