Re TYpe mismatch

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Paul, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hello, i an not sure if this is the rihgt place for this question, if not
    could someome point me to the correct newsgroup please.

    For a number of years i have been designing sites and hosting them using a
    reseller account. For various reasons i am now going over to VPS server
    using Windows Server 2003 with iis 6 installed. This is a large leap for me
    and its getting me quite confused.

    One problem i have is i am getting this error when testing a page

    Provider error '80020005'

    Type mismatch

    The line in question is a currency field and the data that it is attempting
    to be written is £200.00, if i try it without the £ sign it works fine,
    what i dont understand is that it works fine on the existing site with or
    without the £ sign.

    Can anybody point me in the right direction, i dont really want to have to
    write code to remove the £ sign if thers no need too.

    Thanks in advance

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Paul

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Hello, i an not sure if this is the rihgt place for this question, if not
    > could someome point me to the correct newsgroup please.
    >
    > For a number of years i have been designing sites and hosting them using a
    > reseller account. For various reasons i am now going over to VPS server
    > using Windows Server 2003 with iis 6 installed. This is a large leap for

    me
    > and its getting me quite confused.
    >
    > One problem i have is i am getting this error when testing a page
    >
    > Provider error '80020005'
    >
    > Type mismatch
    >
    > The line in question is a currency field and the data that it is

    attempting
    > to be written is £200.00, if i try it without the £ sign it works fine,
    > what i dont understand is that it works fine on the existing site with or
    > without the £ sign.
    >
    > Can anybody point me in the right direction, i dont really want to have to
    > write code to remove the £ sign if thers no need too.

    Regional settings at the server perhaps? The currency settings can be
    adjusted in the Regional Options on the Control Panel.

    MyndPhlyp, Nov 8, 2005

  3. Paul

    Paul Bromley Guest

    Hi Thanks for that quick reply, it sounded logical but ubfortunately
    after the settings to the UK its still producing the same problem on
    this machine.

    Paul Bromley, Nov 8, 2005
  4. I think the right way would be to do it without the £ sign anyway. A simple
    "Replace()" function could strip it out of the input, there is no large
    amount of code required to do that. I never consider including the $ for US
    currency,...the databse already displays it in the field based on the
    Datatype of the field,...the only thing you put in is the number.

    --
    Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    www.wandtv.com

    Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Guidance
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2004.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2000.asp

    Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.asp

    Phillip Windell, Nov 8, 2005
  5. Paul

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    > Hi Thanks for that quick reply, it sounded logical but ubfortunately
    > after the settings to the UK its still producing the same problem on
    > this machine.

    What if you were to test the string with IsNumeric() or tried a conversion
    with CDbl()? You might have to shave off the currency symbol to process it
    as a number.

    MyndPhlyp, Nov 8, 2005
  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote in

    > I think the right way would be to do it without the £ sign anyway. A
    > simple "Replace()" function could strip it out of the input, there is
    > no large amount of code required to do that. I never consider
    > including the $ for US currency,...the databse already displays it in
    > the field based on the Datatype of the field,...the only thing you put
    > in is the number.

    Yes i agree with you, that to use the replace function would solve the
    problem, but as stated in my original post, i am trying to have to avoid
    rewriting code. If it was just this 1 page and 1 site thats exactly what i
    would have done, but there are numerours sites that i would have to do that
    in, and if i missed any out, sites that are working now may stop working
    properly, thats why i am trying to avoid that route. Especially as the
    sites are working fine on the other server, surely it has to be down to a
    setting or something like that.

    Paul, Nov 9, 2005