Re: [TYPES] The type/object distinction and possible synthesis of OOPand imperative programming lang

Discussion in 'Python' started by Matthias Felleisen, Apr 15, 2013.

  1. On Apr 14, 2013, at 11:48 PM, Mark Janssen wrote:

    > After the 2001 "type/class unification" , it went towards Alan Kay's ideal

    Are you sure? Remember Kay's two motivations [*], which he so elegantly describes with "[the] large scale one was to find a better module scheme for complex systems involving hiding of details, and the small scale one was to find a more flexible version of assignment, and then to try to eliminate it altogether." At least for me, this quote sends a signal to language designers that is still looking for a receiver -- Matthias

    [*] http://gagne.homedns.org/~tgagne/contrib/EarlyHistoryST.html
    Matthias Felleisen, Apr 15, 2013