Re: [TYPES] The type/object distinction and possible synthesis of OOPand imperative programming lang

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ian Kelly, Apr 17, 2013.

  1. Ian Kelly

    Ian Kelly Guest

    On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Mark Janssen <> wrote:
    > I feel like I'm having to "come up to speed" of the academic
    > community, but wonder how and why this large chasm happened between
    > the applied community and the theoretical. In my mind, despite the
    > ideals of academia, students graduate and they inevitably come to work
    > on Turing machines of some kind (Intel hardware, for example,
    > currently dominates).

    Modern computers are based on the Von Neumann architecture, not Turing machines.

    > If this is not in some way part of some
    > "ideal", why did the business community adopt and deploy these most
    > successfully? Or is it, in some *a priori* way, not possible to apply
    > the abstract notions in academia into the real-world?

    Theory of computation is mostly about determining what kinds of
    problems fundamentally can or cannot be solved by computation. The
    models used are designed to be reasoned about, not to be used for
    solving real-world programming tasks.
    Ian Kelly, Apr 17, 2013