Re: Ubuntu Python -dbg packages

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Jan 7, 2013.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 1/6/2013 3:21 PM, Lee Harr wrote:

    >> On 1/6/2013 8:42 AM, Lee Harr wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am using:
    >>> Ubuntu 12.10
    >>> Python 3.2.3

    >> import has been considerably redone, and hopefully upgraded, in 3.3.

    > Ok, so now I tried python3.3-dbg but I don't think the pyqt
    > modules are compiled for 3.3 and that may be preventing
    > the import there.
    >
    > Those extension modules would need to be compiled for
    > an exactly matching python interpreter, right?

    For Windows visual C compiler, that is true. I do not know about gcc on
    *nix. I have gotten the impression that it is not necessarily so, except
    as the C api has changed in a way that affects the extension library.
    (Given that 3.3 is 3 months old, after 6 months of alpha/beta releases,
    and has some major improvements, it is past time for libraries that need
    recompiling to be so.)

    >>> I also have the ubuntu -dbg packages:
    >>> python3-dbg
    >>> python3-pyqt4-dbg

    >>> I don't understand why python3-dbg cannot import the PyQt4 modules...

    >> Is PyQtr.__file__ the same here, as below?

    > Yes. It's the same.
    >
    > Sorry, that's what I meant to show there.
    >
    > $ python3
    > Python 3.2.3 (default, Oct 19 2012, 19:53:57)
    > [GCC 4.7.2] on linux2

    > '/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt4/__init__.py'
    >>>>

    >>> $ python3-dbg
    >>> Python 3.2.3 (default, Oct 19 2012, 19:58:54)
    >>> [GCC 4.7.2] on linux2

    >>> [60323 refs]
    >>> '/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt4/__init__.py'
    >>> [60323 refs]
    >>> Traceback (most recent call last):
    >>> File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    >>> ImportError: No module named QtCore
    >>> [150996 refs]

    > So, python3-dbg _should_ be able to import this?

    Given that python3 and python3-dbg import the same PyQt4 file, and that
    you spell PyQt4.QtCore the same (I checked), I am as surprised as you.
    Perhaps there is a bug in the import of the dbg build finding modules in
    packages, but that is so basic, that would surprise me also. Try running
    test/test_imp, _import, _importhooks, _importlib with both binaries
    (because you are looking for a different).

    On Windows, with 3.3, interactively in IDLE, I get
    >>> import test.test_imp as t; t.test_main()

    Ran 29 tests in 0.134s
    OK (skipped=1)
    Ran 48 tests in 0.953s
    OK (skipped=4)
    Ran 4 tests in 0.169s
    OK
    Ran 288 tests in 1.684s
    OK (skipped=2)

    Note that the above invocation runs in verbose mode, so if there is a
    difference, you can find the specific test. The skips are usually system
    specific. For instance, the one skip in the first batch is

    test_issue5604 (test.test_imp.ImportTests) ... skipped "can't run this
    test with mbcs as filesystem encoding"

    The others were for other posix-windows differences.

    > Any ideas about the python3-pyqt4-dbg modules mentioned originally?

    No. I stuck to what looked like might be easier.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Jan 7, 2013