Re: Understanding and dealing with an exception

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Lawrence, Oct 14, 2012.

  1. On 14/10/2012 05:23, Vincent Davis wrote:
    > I am working on a script to find bad image files. I am using PIL
    > and specifically image.verify() I have a set of known to be bad image files
    > to test. I also what to be able to test any file for example a .txt and
    > deal with the exception.
    > Currently my code is basically
    >
    > try:
    > im = Image.open(ifile)
    > try:
    > print(im.verify())
    > except:
    > print('Pil image.verify() failed: ' + afile)
    > except IOError:
    > print('PIL cannot identify image file: ' + afile)
    > except:
    > print(ifile)
    > print("Unexpected error doing PIL.Image.open():", sys.exc_info()[0])
    > raise

    [snip]

    > Vincent

    You've already had some advice so I'll just point out that a bare except
    is a bad idea as you wouldn't even be able to catch a user interrupt.
    Try (groan!) catching StandardError instead.

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.
    Mark Lawrence, Oct 14, 2012