Re: unescaped & or unknown entity "&whatever"

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Big Bill, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Big Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:30:17 +0100, Jacqui or (maybe) Pete
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> What does that mean please when it comes up as a validation warning?
    >>

    >URL?

    Well, for instance, peek at http://www.kruse.co.uk/thesiger.htm
    although it's duped on pretty much most of my sites that offer amazon
    books. Try running the html Tidy validator on them and look for
    warnings.

    BB
    MFW Britpack www.extreme-positioning.co.uk
    There is only one war, and it's not the rich against the poor,
    the blacks against the whites, the Federation against the Borg,
    or the Democrats versus the Republicans. It's those of us who
    aren't complete idiots against those of us who are.
    Big Bill, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Big Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:43:40 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    >"Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:30:17 +0100, Jacqui or (maybe) Pete
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>,
    >> > says...
    >> >>

    >> >URL?

    >> Well, for instance, peek at http://www.kruse.co.uk/thesiger.htm
    >> although it's duped on pretty much most of my sites that offer amazon
    >> books. Try running the html Tidy validator on them and look for
    >> warnings.

    >Did you not read the other replies in this thread?

    Yes I did indeed. It seems to me tho like Hitbox and amazon didn't.
    May not be such a problem with Amazon but I believe that Hitbox run
    some kind of checksum thingy on their code to make sure the end-user
    (in this instance, myself) isn't tampering with it. You can have a
    freebie service from Hitbox, which involves you having visible ads for
    their clients on your pages, or a paid for invisible service (they do
    stats, by the way). I want ALL the code on my pages to validate,
    third-party or not, and when I've tried tinkering with Hitbox code in
    the past (like hiding their "privacy" link, which is unaesthetically
    conspicuous) the Hitbox service has promptly ceased to function.
    It would be a big, big help, of course, if these giants of the
    industry would write code that validates in the first place, but it
    seems to be too much for them.

    >In HTML An ampersand signifies the start of an entity.
    >Read about them here:
    >http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/entities.html
    >
    >Line 680:
    >
    >src=http://hg1.hitbox.com/HG?hc=wf155&cd=1&hv=6&ce=u&hb=WQ511206BNAA17EN0&n=
    >Wilfred Thesiger

    And the above isn't my code, it's Hitbox's.

    >&cd for example is not a valid entity.

    I know.

    > If you want a & in your HTML you must
    >use &amp;

    It ain't my HTML and I'm not sure you're entirely correct actually.
    I've got a suspicion that &cd should naybe be written &cd; which
    might, er, cause it to be considered escaped. Given that Hitbox and
    Amazon presumably *want* us to use their facilities and therefore
    their code, I really shouldn't have to be worrying about this.
    I'll experiment further.

    BB

    Big Bill, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Big Bill

    Headless Guest

    Big Bill <> wrote:

    >Try running the html Tidy validator on them and look for
    >warnings.

    Tidy is not a validator, it's an HTML checker, and a bad one.

    Headless
    Headless, Jun 23, 2003
  4. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Matthias Gutfeldt <> wrote:
    >

    >>It's neither a validator nor a checker. According to the docs,
    >>"Tidy is able to fix up a wide range of problems and to bring to
    >>your attention things that you need to work on yourself."

    > That comes pretty close to "checker" in my book. What would a checker
    > do if not "bring to your attention things that you need to work on
    > yourself"?
    >
    > It indeed automatically fixes or "fixes" things, too, but this just
    > means that it's not _only_ a checker.

    Well, in my understanding a "checker" just checks the document and
    points out those errors it finds. It doesn't attempt to fix them for you
    - that's what a "fixer" would do :). But perhaps that's splitting hairs .

    >>It does that fairly well, at least for the files I throw at it.

    > Me too. Probably the best tool to turn data saved from MS Word as
    > "HTML" (or "Web page" or whatever they call it) into decent HTML.
    > Given the mess it has to work with, it does it quite well.

    Yes, I'm usually very pleased. A bit of global search&replace after that
    to do things Tidy isn't meant to do, and the document is squeaky clean.

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Jun 23, 2003
  5. Big Bill

    Big Bill Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:45:39 +0100, Headless <>
    wrote:

    >Big Bill <> wrote:
    >
    >>Try running the html Tidy validator on them and look for
    >>warnings.

    >Tidy is not a validator, it's an HTML checker, and a bad one.

    There's a difference between a validator and a checker?

    BB

    Big Bill, Jun 23, 2003
  6. Big Bill

    Headless Guest

    Big Bill <> wrote:

    >>Tidy is not a validator, it's an HTML checker, and a bad one.

    >There's a difference between a validator and a checker?

    A validator checks HTML against the spec as defined in the DTD, HTML
    checkers do not.

    Headless
    Headless, Jun 24, 2003