Re: unexpected results

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Scott Lander, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Scott Lander

    Scott Lander Guest

    Thanks for your remarks. The one or two useful parts will be retained.

    > You have posted to a newsgroup that does not exist.

    This news group may not exist, but you answered....So, perhaps, you do not
    exist? BUt, I got your response - so, I conclude you do exist, and
    therefore my post made it somewhere - so - this group must exist.

    > You want to use symbolic references. (Yes that is a basic error
    > because you have no overwheling need).

    Actually, there may be reasons for the symbolic references. I did not give
    much code, just the relevent parts. But, Maybe you are right - why do you
    think I don't have a need? Or better yet, what might an overwhelming need
    be? Please, educate me!

    And, I did figure out my syntax errors. Thanks.

    > To avoid pain always put either 'my' or 'our' in front of the variable
    > in for/foreach.

    Ok - thanks

    > You clearly belive that the above syntax will use the value in $env as
    > the name of a hash and the use $grpname as a subscript into that hash.
    > It will not.

    You are right - as I said in original post, it was most liklely a basic
    error. Thanks for your help with it.

    > If you are going to do anything "in advance" of posting, it should be
    > RTTFAQ!

    Read the FAQ - many times - but, as you probably know, when you are
    learning something new to you, the FAQ doesn't always make perfect sense -
    sometimes it pays to ask someone where your misunderstanding lies. We can
    not all be perfect.

    > Please do not start threds here.

    Why not start threads here?
    Scott Lander, Jul 7, 2003