Re: unicodedata name for \u000a

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ken Beesley, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. Ken Beesley

    Ken Beesley Guest

    Ken Beesley schreef:

    >> There is, of course, a Unicode name for \u000a,

    Peter Kleiweg wrote:

    No, there isn't. Check
    http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0000.pdf

    OK. I see that for 000A there is not now an official Unicode name in
    4.0, and that "LINE FEED (LF)" is an alias. Such an alias, shown in
    uppercase letters, indicates that it _was_ the name of the character in
    The Unicode Standard, Version 1.0. See The Unicode Standard 4.0, p. 415
    ("Aliases"). This seems odd. One intuitively assumes that any defined
    Unicode character has a Unicode name.

    Ken Beesley, Aug 22, 2004

  2. Ken Beesley wrote:
    > OK. I see that for 000A there is not now an official Unicode name in
    > 4.0, and that "LINE FEED (LF)" is an alias. Such an alias, shown in
    > uppercase letters, indicates that it _was_ the name of the character in
    > The Unicode Standard, Version 1.0. See The Unicode Standard 4.0, p. 415
    > ("Aliases"). This seems odd. One intuitively assumes that any defined
    > Unicode character has a Unicode name.

    Indeed, this intuition is wrong. Other Unicode characters that don't
    have names are:
    - surrogates (U+D800..U+DFFF); it is debatable whether these are
    characters, though
    - private use characters (U+E000..U+F8FF, U+F0000..U+FFFFD,
    U+10000..U+10FFFD).

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Aug 22, 2004