Re: UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xb7'

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Rebert, Jul 16, 2009.

  1. Chris Rebert

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:05 PM, akhil1988<> wrote:

    > Well,
    > All I get is this traceback:
    >
    > File "./customWikiExtractor.py", line 492, in ?
    > main()
    > File "./customWikiExtractor.py", line 480, in main
    > print >> sys.stdout, 'line: %s' % line
    > UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xb7' in position
    > 13: ordinal not in range(128)
    >
    > I am giving a string to the python code as input, and python processes it
    > like this:
    >
    > line = line.decode('utf-8').strip()
    >
    > After this when I do,
    > print >> sys.stdout, 'line: %s' % line
    > I get this Unicode error.

    Try this instead (the ">> sys.stdout" part is redundant):
    print (u'line: %s' % line).encode('utf8')
    #if your system doesn't use UTF-8, change as necessary

    Cheers,
    Chris
    --
    http://blog.rebertia.com