Re: unit testing guidelines

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew McDonagh, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. Phlip wrote:

    > Andrew McDonagh wrote:
    >
    >> Ian Collins wrote:

    Phlip, your mail client must have removed to much cause Ian wrote this
    'too restrictive' part not me.

    > I find debugging a bit too restrictive. I can't just use Undo to make the
    > bug go >poof<.
    >
    > Imagine if you had such a button on your debugger! You would hit it all the
    > time!
    >
    > You have such a button; it's just a little more expensive than raw code. The
    > cost savings - no more debugging - overwhelmingly offsets that cost.

    100% agree and its how I work too - make a change, it doesn't work, undo
    change, make a different change, rinse & repeat.

    >>> TDD is more than an approach to unit testing, it is an approach to the
    >>> full design-test-code cycle.

    >> More fundamentally, TDD is Design Methodology, Not a Testing Methodology.
    >>
    >> It just happens to use Unit tests as its means of describing the design,
    >> much like RUP uses UML.
    >>
    >> Indeed, some TDD practitioners are starting to call it BDD - as in
    >>

    > http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=behaviour driven development&btnG=Google Search&meta=
    >
    > And some call it Test First Programming, because TDD is position to replace
    > the hideous name "eXtreme Programming".

    ;-) If only Kent had his way
    Andrew McDonagh, Mar 20, 2006