Re: Units of measure in XML documents

Discussion in 'XML' started by The Magpie, Jan 16, 2009.

  1. The Magpie

    The Magpie Guest

    Tom Wright wrote:

    > I'm trying to find an up-to-date reference on units of measure in XML
    > documents. [snip]

    Its not really an XML issue - what goes into XML is what you choose to
    put there (XML defines the structure, not the content, of the
    documents written in it). Are you actually looking for information on
    RDF resource dictionaries?
    The Magpie, Jan 16, 2009

  2. The Magpie

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Tom Wright wrote:
    > [...] what I want is a standard resource listing units of measure
    > which can be used to make combining scientific data from different
    > sources easy.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Jan 17, 2009

  3. The Magpie

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 16 Jan, 14:59, Tom Wright <> wrote:
    > The Magpie wrote:

    > > Are you actually looking for information on RDF resource dictionaries?

    > Yes, I think I am.  I didn't know that it was RDF that I was after, but what
    > I want is a standard resource listing units of measure which can be used to
    > make combining scientific data from different sources easy.

    It's not strictly RDF either - but the RDF community has gone further
    down this route, so have had to deal with more of it. To get truly
    "automatic" fixes for this class of problem you're right off two jumps
    past RDF and into OWL territory.

    In practical terms, you can't do this automatically (fully, generally,
    and today). You'd need ontological definitions of dimension such as
    "length", then you'd need some widespread agreed vocabularies to
    define the sets of terms you can understand and work with. Even better
    would be a taxonomic and descriptive vocabulary, i.e. one that
    expressed the relationship of "12 inches to a foot" and the meaning of
    "kilo".

    Likelihood is that Dublin Core would be a fertile searching ground for
    practical approaches. You're back to a pre-XML world, but one that's
    well-established and has needeed robust solutions to such things for a
    good while now. I can't remember dimensions work, but geographical
    gazeteers and subject indices are very well covered.

    One of the most highly developed examples of this work is the units
    conversion template [[:template:convert]] at Wikipedia. It's all a
    horrible lash-up of wet string and sealing wax, but because these
    terms are well-defined and long-term stable, it actually works quite
    well.

    For XML, then there could be work (but probably not of inspiring
    quality) around in the commercial world of ETL, EAI & JMS used to
    integrate commercial legacy systems. It's a world of PowerPoint
    bullshit in suits though and the thinking is rarely particularly
    clever.

    You might even find some of the Microformats(!) work to be useful(!!)
    Andy Dingley, Jan 20, 2009
  4. The Magpie

    The Magpie Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On 16 Jan, 14:59, Tom Wright <> wrote:
    >> The Magpie wrote:

    >>> Are you actually looking for information on RDF resource
    >>> dictionaries?

    >> Yes, I think I am. I didn't know that it was RDF that I was
    >> after, but what I want is a standard resource listing units of
    >> measure which can be used to make combining scientific data from
    >> different sources easy.

    > It's not strictly RDF either - but the RDF community has gone
    > further down this route, so have had to deal with more of it.
    > Likelihood is that Dublin Core would be a fertile searching ground
    > for practical approaches.

    I wondered if Dublin Core would have something.
    The Magpie, Jan 20, 2009