Re: unittest for system testing

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Angel, Oct 18, 2012.

  1. Dave Angel

    Dave Angel Guest

    On 10/17/2012 08:22 PM, Rita wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Currently, I use a shell script to test how my system behaves before I
    > deploy an application. For instance, I check if fileA, fileB, and fileC
    > exist and if they do I go and start up my application.
    >
    > This works great BUT
    >
    > I would like to use python and in particular unittest module to test my
    > system and then deploy my app. I understand unittest is for functional
    > testing but I think this too would be a case for it. Any thoughts? I am not
    > looking for code in particular but just some ideas on how to use python
    > better in situations like this.

    You have perhaps a different meaning for deploy than I do. An app is
    deployed at installation time. After that, it is simply run.

    I think you're saying that you have some extra sanity checks that you
    test before you RUN the application. If so, why aren't they just part
    of the main script?

    If you're not comfortable putting it there, you could put it in a simple
    module that gets imported and called by the main script.

    I can't see ANY connection between this and unit testing, with or
    without frameworks. Are you planning to run your test suite each time
    the user runs your application? Can he really wait an hour or three for
    it to get started?

    --

    DaveA

    Dave Angel, Oct 18, 2012