Re: UNIX, C, Perl

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Bill Reid, Sep 2, 2008.

  1. Bill Reid

    Bill Reid Guest

    Pilcrow <> wrote in message

    > Given that UNIX, including networking, is almost entirely coded in C,
    > how come so many things are almost impossible in ordinary C? Examples:
    > Network and internet access, access to UNIX interprocess controls and
    > communication, locale determination, EBCDIC/ASCII discrimination, etc.
    >
    > Almost all of these are easy in Perl. Why isn't there a mechanism like
    > perl modules to allow easy extentions for facilities like these? Isn't
    > anyone working on this problem? or is it all being left for proprietary
    > systems?

    I thought "PERL" WAS coded in "C"...

    Somebody, many people have worked on this "problem"; for example,
    I got a "regex" PERL-like library for free with MY "C" compiler, along
    with a bunch of other stuff, including stuff you mention...the only
    people who haven't worked on it are those DAMN BEAURUCRATS
    IN WASHINGTON!!! (or whever the "C" standards committee met,
    and of course, their "portability" yipping lap-dogs here)...

    ---
    William Ernest Reid

    Bill Reid, Sep 2, 2008

  2. Bill Reid

    John Bellone Guest

    Re: UNIX, C, Perl

    On Sep 2, 10:18 am, "Bill Reid" <> wrote:
    > Pilcrow <> wrote in message

    > > Given that UNIX, including networking, is almost entirely coded in C,
    > > how come so many things are almost impossible in ordinary C?  Examples:
    > > Network and internet access, access to UNIX interprocess controls and
    > > communication, locale determination, EBCDIC/ASCII discrimination, etc.

    > > Almost all of these are easy in Perl. Why isn't there a mechanism like
    > > perl modules to allow easy extentions for facilities like these?  Isn't
    > > anyone working on this problem? or is it all being left for proprietary
    > > systems?

    > I thought "PERL" WAS coded in "C"...
    >
    > Somebody, many people have worked on this "problem"; for example,
    > I got a "regex" PERL-like library for free with MY "C" compiler, along
    > with a bunch of other stuff, including stuff you mention...the only
    > people who haven't worked on it are those DAMN BEAURUCRATS
    > IN WASHINGTON!!!  (or whever the "C" standards committee met,
    > and of course, their "portability" yipping lap-dogs here)...
    >
    > ---
    > William Ernest Reid

    What are we considering "ordinary C?" Are we talking about the
    libraries that are distributed with the GNU C library, any C compiler
    that is POSIX standard supported, or are we talking about Visual C++?
    The beauty of C is that it will run on damn near any piece of hardware
    you throw at it. Almost every single platform's operating system is
    written in a combination of C and (some form of) assembler. All of
    these things that you mentioned are very possible, because frankly,
    the language that you mentioned was implemented in C. The foundations
    that you are building on were written in C, Pascal and assembler.

    But here is the other interesting tidbit. Many languages that make it
    easier for programmers to simply create a socket connection with two
    lines of code (Python, C# and Java) have C libraries behind them doing
    all the dirty work. If you really want to do all of these things in C
    then your best bet is to follow a POSIX standard for sockets
    (networking) and work strictly with C99 standards. You are almost
    guaranteed that your code will run almost anywhere except certain
    embedded platforms (and even those now are using POSIX compilers).

    I am a firm believer that both C/C++ are portable as long as you have
    someone in the background managing the projects. As long as the proper
    libraries are used and standards are followed the code should be
    relatively easy to port across platforms. But don't take my word for
    it: there are many projects available at sourceforge.net that are open
    source that can give you examples of a portable C application.
    Although take a note: many "C" applications nowadays are essentially a
    C++ application.

    John Bellone, Sep 2, 2008

  3. Bill Reid

    Guest

    Re: UNIX, C, Perl

    Bill Reid wrote:
    > IN WASHINGTON!!! (or whever the "C" standards committee met,

    As you might expect for an international standards organization, the
    meetings of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG14 are held in a wide variety of
    places around the world. Judging from
    <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/meetings>, it would appear
    that they have not met in Washington at any time since at least 1994,
    and probably earlier. Since the US member is INCITS J11
    <http://www.ncits.org/tc_home/j11.htm>, and that committee's meetings
    are co-located with those of WG14, it doesn't look like Washington has
    anything to do with this.

    , Sep 2, 2008