Re: UNIX, C, Perl

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by James Kuyper, Sep 3, 2008.

  1. James Kuyper

    James Kuyper Guest

    Pilcrow wrote:
    > am used to doing with Perl. I ask provocative questions in the attempt
    > of gaining new knowledge, ...

    Asking provocative questions tends, by definition, to provoke negative
    reactions. I'd recommend asking interesting questions, rather than
    provocative ones.

    > I already have gotten some answers, such as the existence of the
    > locale.h header file, which I should have noticed before.

    I didn't realize that you were that unfamiliar with C, and therefore
    misunderstood your comments as a dismissal of <locale.h> as being
    insufficiently powerful. It might be insufficiently powerful; C++'s
    support for locales, for instance, is much more sophisticated - so much
    so that I can't quite figure out how to take advantage of it's powerful
    capabilities - so there's certainly room for improvement (in both
    languages).
    James Kuyper, Sep 3, 2008

  2. James Kuyper

    Richard Guest

    James Kuyper <> writes:

    > Pilcrow wrote:
    >> am used to doing with Perl. I ask provocative questions in the attempt
    >> of gaining new knowledge, ...

    > Asking provocative questions tends, by definition, to provoke negative
    > reactions. I'd recommend asking interesting questions, rather than
    > provocative ones.

    "Provocative" means interesting. It does not mean it needs an aggressive
    reply.
    Richard, Sep 3, 2008

  3. In article <Nduvk.481$Wd.223@trnddc01>,
    James Kuyper <> wrote:
    >Pilcrow wrote:
    >> am used to doing with Perl. I ask provocative questions in the attempt
    >> of gaining new knowledge, ...

    >Asking provocative questions tends, by definition, to provoke negative
    >reactions. I'd recommend asking interesting questions, rather than
    >provocative ones.

    This is true on Usenet and is Usenet's primary flaw.

    It's not true in general (Note: You should probably spend some time with
    a dictionary - look up the word "provocative") - that is, in real life - but
    it is true that anything the least bit off the well-trodden path in a
    Usenet posting, just gets people's dander up. The thread then just
    turns into a big mess of defensiveness.
    Kenny McCormack, Sep 3, 2008