Re: Unreadable "HTML"

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Toby A Inkster, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Pete wrote:

    > Looking at them as text shows binary garbage, and they are
    > all exactly 382 bytes long.

    Possibly gzipped HTML? Maybe not.

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Toby A Inkster

    Pete Guest

    In article <>,
    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    >Pete wrote:
    >
    >> Looking at them as text shows binary garbage, and they are
    >> all exactly 382 bytes long.

    >Possibly gzipped HTML? Maybe not.

    Nope -- tried every decompressor I could think of... gunzip, unzip, compress -d
    .... If I move the file over to a Linux machine and try 'file', it just
    reports "data". 382 bytes is awfully short for even compressed data, anyway.

    I think something very peculiar is going on, because every "html" file on the
    CD shows up *twice* in a listing, with exactly the same values! All the
    other files are perfectly normal. Maybe some weird protection on the CD??
    But if so -- WHY? I can get to all the actual info on the disc, which is
    all PDF.

    This is a hybrid ISO9660/Joliet CDROM, so maybe my system [BeOS if you
    care] is confused somehow, but I've never seen it happen on other discs.
    (Just went back and looked at some earlier SIGGRAPH CDROMs but of course
    none of them used an HTML index!)

    Very odd....
    -- Pete --

    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
    Pete, Aug 19, 2003