Re: Update to Python 2.3 on Red Hat Linux 9

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave In Redmond, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. Jay Bromley wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a Red Hat Linux 9 system with Python 2.2.2 and I would like
    > to update to Python 2.3. I got the 2.3 source and built and installed
    > it. Python 2.3 itself works but it doesn't have access to a lot of
    > packages that are available to Python 2.2.2. For example,
    > pygtk-1.99.14 and Tkinter work fine with 2.2.2, but in 2.3 I can't do
    > 'import gtk' or 'import _tkinter'. I checked the pygtk site and they
    > say I've got to recompile pygtk for the new Python. I'm hoping there
    > is a better answer. The problem is a lot of RedHat stuff depends on
    > Python and the packages available to 2.2, but I need 2.3 and I don't
    > want to junk the applications based on Python 2.2 and the current
    > packages.
    >
    > So the questions is, can I build Python 2.3 so that it recognizes all
    > the packages that are available to Python 2.2.2? Is this LD_RUN_PATH
    > stuff? Or do I really need to find out all the libraries in use with
    > 2.2.2 and compile these for 2.3?
    >
    > I'd appreciate any pointers or references to documentation. I *really*
    > want 2.3.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Jay Bromley

    Did you rebuild Python with enable-unicode=ucs4? If not, that is likely your
    problem - it was mine ;<{)
    Dave In Redmond, Aug 29, 2003

  2. Dave In Redmond

    Jay Bromley Guest

    Hello again,

    > Did you rebuild Python with enable-unicode=ucs4? If not, that is likely your
    > problem - it was mine ;<{)

    Yes, the second time I compiled Python (I actually paid attention to
    the README) I used this option, still to no avail.

    I've done some playing and if I can get the sys.path the same for both
    versions most of the libraries seem to be ok, so that's the next shot,
    doing some more reading to see how I can config 2.3 to have the same
    sys.path as 2.2.2.

    Incidentally, I mentioned pygtk having to be recompiled for 2.3. This
    seems to be the case because (according to an import error message)
    pygtk built for 2.2.2 uses a different api than 2.3.

    Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I'll see if I can use the source.
    Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay Bromley, Aug 30, 2003