Re: (updated) Choosing a collection of common modules/packages for ageneral purpose reusable PY2E

Discussion in 'Python' started by python@bdurham.com, Mar 9, 2010.

  1. Guest

    We've decided to build a re-usable *general purpose* PY2EXE
    "runtime" that can be shared by a number of scripts vs.
    distributing a monolithic EXE for each of our scripts.

    A list of the Python 2.6.4 compatible modules/packages we decided
    to include (and exclude) in our "runtime" follows my signature.

    Any suggestions on additions or deletions appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Malcolm

    3rd party modules/packages:
    - jsonpickle
    - wmi <--- forgot this one in my original post
    - win32api
    - winshell

    We've included all modules from the Python standard library
    EXCEPT the following:
    http://www.python.org/doc/2.6.4/modindex.html
    - aifc
    - audioop
    - bsddb
    - Carbon
    - dbhash
    - distutils
    - dumbdbm
    - netrc
    - plistlib
    - robotparser
    - ScrolledText
    - shelve
    - sunau
    - tabnanny
    - Tix
    - Tkinter
    - turtle
    - whichdb

    , Mar 9, 2010

  2. Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >We've decided to build a re-usable *general purpose* PY2EXE "runtime"
    >that can be shared by a number of scripts vs. distributing a monolithic
    >EXE for each of our scripts.

    It's not clear what the purpose of this is. You can build several
    scripts against the same py2exe backend.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    Aahz, Mar 20, 2010

    Aahz,

    >> We've decided to build a re-usable *general purpose* PY2EXE "runtime"
    >> that can be shared by a number of scripts vs. distributing a monolithic
    >> EXE for each of our scripts.

    > It's not clear what the purpose of this is. You can build several
    > scripts against the same py2exe backend.

    Yes you can, but with our technique we only build and distribute our
    py2exe backend *once*.

    Our goal was to build a custom Python runtime that we could build and
    deploy once and then augment with the many scripts we distribute and
    update. By including the full Python standard library (minus non-Windows
    and certain deprecated modules) and a few additional 3rd party
    modules/packages (win32, wmi, jsonpickle, etc) our script distribution
    has become significantly easier, faster and more robust - especially for
    scripts that may make dynamic module imports missed by py2exe. Script
    updates are incredibly fast because our clients only download the
    scripts themselves (packaged as standalone zip files). Not that disk
    space is a concern any more, but our client footprint is significantly
    smaller without every script being a single file exe.

    I recognize that this technique might not work for everyone, but it has
    worked out extremely well for us.

    Malcolm

    for a general purpose reusable PY2EXE runtime

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >We've decided to build a re-usable *general purpose* PY2EXE "runtime"
    >that can be shared by a number of scripts vs. distributing a monolithic
    >EXE for each of our scripts.

    It's not clear what the purpose of this is. You can build several
    scripts against the same py2exe backend.
    --
    Aahz () <*>
    http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    "Many customs in this life persist because they ease friction and
    promote

    , Mar 20, 2010