Re: Upgrading 2.4.1 to 2.4.2

Discussion in 'Python' started by Steve Holden, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Steve Holden

    Steve Holden Guest

    Sori Schwimmer wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have Python 2.4.1 and have downloaded 2.4.2. Is
    > there a way to avoid installing everything and,
    > instead, just upgrade?

    Yes. Just uninstall 2.4.1 and install 2.4.2 - all your extensions and
    additional modules should remain (though it wouldn't hurt to do a backup
    first in case I'm wrong ;-).

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
    Holden Web LLC www.holdenweb.com

    Steve Holden, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Steve Holden

    Guest

    Not sure that is a good idea on a linux system. MS should be fine, but
    I actually tried that on linux. Didn't realize how much on a linux
    system depends on Python.

    Basically ended up doing a full re-install.

    I'll never do that again.

    , Oct 19, 2005

  3. Steve Holden

    Ben Sizer Guest

    wrote:
    > Not sure that is a good idea on a linux system. MS should be fine, but
    > I actually tried that on linux. Didn't realize how much on a linux
    > system depends on Python.

    I had that problem once, although to be fair it really does depend on
    which distribution you use as to how many problems you're going to
    have.

    Perhaps the way to do it is to install the new Python version in
    /usr/local/ (alongside the distro's version is in /usr/ ), then when
    you're sure your new version is installed and working, change the
    references over - perhaps it's possible to do this with just 1 symbolic
    link somewhere.

    --
    Ben Sizer

    Ben Sizer, Oct 19, 2005
  4. Vincent Gulinao wrote:

    > Hi, I'm new to python and just upgraded python on my system from 2.3 to 2.4.
    > My platform is Linux-2.6.9-1.667smp-i686-with-redhat-3-Heidelberg.
    >
    > Is there any way to inherit (share?) all extensions and additional modules
    > the my 2.3 have? (of course, beside re-installing everything)

    binary extensions should, in general, be recompiled for each new X.Y release,
    so it's usually best to reinstall them.

    (under Unix, you can often use older extensions, but you may get warnings, and
    some extensions may not work properly. if you feel adventurous, you can simply
    copy the old Lib/site-packages directory to the corresponding location in the new
    install, and see what happens. no guarantees, though...)

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Oct 25, 2005
  5. >> Hi, I'm new to python and just upgraded python on my system from 2.3 to 2.4.
    >> My platform is Linux-2.6.9-1.667smp-i686-with-redhat-3-Heidelberg.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to inherit (share?) all extensions and additional modules
    >> the my 2.3 have? (of course, beside re-installing everything)

    > binary extensions should, in general, be recompiled for each new X.Y release,
    > so it's usually best to reinstall them.

    just noted that your subject doesn't match the rest of your message; if you're doing
    a minor upgrade (X.Y.Z), it should be safe to install the new version over the old one,
    and all existing extensions should continue to work.

    (I say "should", but 2.4 => 2.4.1 did break a lot of things for me; 2.3 => 2.4 was a
    much cleaner upgrade. most of the 2.4.1 issues are fixed in 2.4.2, so it was probably
    just a temporary glitch)

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Oct 25, 2005